hi all-

i am _definitely_ not trying to ignite any type of war with this mail.

here's the question:

i'd like to start using qmail-scanner w/ kaspersky's AVP to scan all
gatewayed mail.  my fears are this:

1. every piece of mail invokes perl.
2. the linux machine taht we use as a mail gateway currently has 128meg ram.
3. the qmail-scanner page on sourceforge (qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net)
mentions that each simultaneous SMTP session that involves qmail-scanner
can occupy about 5-6mb of memory, and that incoming mail limits should be
adjusted accordingly.  i'd rather never hit swap, so under my current
amount of ram, i'd have to severely limit the number of incoming connections.

given thses concerns, i'd like to just ditch the current machine and get
something with a couple of cpus and a decent amount of ram to handle the
additional overhead of qmail-scanner/virus scan prog.

does anyone have any experience with this type of setup?  i'd much rather
stick with freebsd, but have head that linux has better SMP support.  does
this make any difference?

thanks-

dan

Dan Kelley