dan kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i'd like to start using qmail-scanner w/ kaspersky's AVP to scan all
> gatewayed mail.  my fears are this:
>
> 1. every piece of mail invokes perl.
> 2. the linux machine taht we use as a mail gateway currently has 128meg ram.
> 3. the qmail-scanner page on sourceforge (qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net)
> mentions that each simultaneous SMTP session that involves qmail-scanner
> can occupy about 5-6mb of memory, and that incoming mail limits should be
> adjusted accordingly.  i'd rather never hit swap, so under my current
> amount of ram, i'd have to severely limit the number of incoming connections.

Note that under most modern Unixen, including Linux, all the memory that
Perl occupies will be shared between the concurrently running copies.  Only
any memory allocated for data will be nonshared.  Therefore, running
100 simultaneous connections through a setup like this will NOT take
100 times the physical amount of memory.

Charles