Also,

    Another good thing to note:

    I was having a serious problem with qMail delivering mail to end users,
however, mail was being stored in the queue (this was quite some time ago
now).  I had made a few changes to a crontab entry the day earlier, however;
everything was seemingly running normally with qMail.

    Anyway, it turns out that I was running an INTENCE CRON job every single
second, rather than my intended once per day.  (oops).  It took a little
while after I corrected the error before the backlog was gone, but
everything has been running smoothly since.

    Just an example of how a completely unrelated system event can alter the
performance of other items... (hrrmmm chaos mathematics anyone?)

Cheers,

Sean