Norbert Bollow writes:
 > Specifically, I want to figure out why the message below went to me
 > (probably via a -default address) instead of being discarded by
 > Ezmlm's bounce- handler.

Because mail.com is run by a bunch of weenies, who have somehow
modified their SMTP server (which *was* running just fine until about
1Mar2001) so that it munges the envelope sender.  I imagine that
there's a sendmail rule somewhere named "destroy the envelope sender"
that they turned on.  Fortunately, you have to work much harder to get
qmail to munge the envelope sender.

 > Note: in the following, '**CENSORED**' replaces the localpart of
 > the subscriber email address, which consists of a reasonable
 > number (between 4 and 8) of lower-case Ascii letters.

Don't do this.  I know you have good reasons, but if you aren't
willing to help us by providing full disclosure, don't come asking for
help.  Remember: you have a problem, and you don't know where it is.
When you modify information that you think is unrelated to the
problem, you might be wasting our time.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Watch out!  He's got an