Milivoj Ivkovic wrote:
> >Changing "pop3" to "pop-3" breaks it as well, with another error I don't
> >understand:
> >   Mar  7 14:41:36 net1 inetd[418]: pop-3/tcp: bind: Address already in use
> >
> >The system is a redhat 6.2, in case it matters.

Hmmm . . . tricky.  Thinking back on my experience with RedHat (which,
by the way, I must say I very much dislike.  My rule of thumb: run
Slackware on anything less than a P3, Mandrake on anything greater, and
TurboLinux if you want to have fun. =) ) You are right trying to use
pop-3 instead of pop3 (thanks to Red Hat's seeming ability to aim
towards non-standards); but I wonder what is running there that the
address is already in use for?  Do these:

        cat /etc/inetd.conf | grep pop
and
        cat /etc/services | grep pop

and post the results.  We'll go from there.

> >Thank you,
> >
> >Milivoj

BTW, you are telling inetd to re-read it's conf file with a SIGHUP after
making changes, aren't you?

--
Keith
Network Engineer