as someone here was nice enough to point out to me:

by default, certain versions of PIX software come out of the box with
fixup protocol smtp 25
enabled.

this implements something called 'Mail Guard', which rewrites smtp
conversations, only allowing rfc 821 commands.

we've been having two types of mail problems since installing the pix:

1. certain domains just couldn't email us.
2. we sometimes receive hundreds of copies of the same email.

once i removed the smtp fixup from the pix, mail started soming throough
from the domains that fell into category #1.  (incidentally, they we're all
exchange servers).  it appears that number2 is now fixed as well, although
that will take more time to verify.

basically, what would happen is this:

remote mailserver initiates conversation, says something like
EHLO server.imaginary.com

the PIX would rewrite the line to this (becase EHLO isin't rfc821)
XXXX server.imaginary.com

to which qmail would respond:

502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

the upshot was that eventually i'd have about 50 qmail-smtpd processes
running at any given time.

what finally gave the source of the problem away:

telnet <your mailserver> 25
from both inside the network , and outside (through the pix).

if you type help, and you get
502 unimplemented from the outside, and
214 qmail home page:http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html
from the inside, the pix may be your problem.

dan

Dan Kelley
www.otec.com
212-840-8600