http://www.imap.org/papers/imap.vs.pop.brief.html

> This is not a very good mechanism particularly. First off, when
> they delete an email on mail1, how will the copy on mail2 get
> deleted?

Good point. As you can see, I haven't put a great deal of thought into
this yet. The idea struck me last night. I probably won't be using
this method.

> Remember, if the mailboxes are in Maildir format, they can safely
> be shared across NFS. A simple configuration might be:

I'm reluctant to move to Maildir until we can get more MUAs to support
them (specifically Pine and Netscape).

> It's not really specific to qmail, but Maildir makes this a much
> more viable solution compared to the locking and performance
> nightmares associated with V7 mbox format used by sendmail and
> mail.local.

I've heard that the maildir format may have scalability issues because
of the number of files that it deals with (bunches of open(), read()
and stat() calls). Is there any truth to this?

--
Gopi Sundaram
[EMAIL PROTECTED]