From: ennui [mailto:ennui]On Behalf Of Nick (Keith) Fish
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 5:39 PM
To: Bill Andersen; Qmail Mailing List
Subject: Re: Qmail + pop3d

Bill Andersen wrote:

> I read the docs and found the nice little wrappers for "elq","pinq" and
> "qail",
> but I always get the following error when it calls the maildir2mbox
> command...
>
>  maildir2mbox: fatal: unable to move /home/bill/Mailtmp to
> /var/spool/mail/bill:
>  cross-device link
>
> I'm a Linux newbie, so I just went to POP3 from my PC in order to get my
> mail.
> However, I would really like to run pine.  (I did get Mutt working with
> maildir,
> so I'me not completely locked to my PC!!! Thank goodness)
>
> I'm sure it's obvious what I have wrong to someone who knows *nix...
>
> Help anyone?
>
> Bill

Well, are those directories on separate devices (i.e. two different hard
drives)?  If so (and this is judging from the error message), that's
probably your problem.  Try copying the Maildir over to the var
directory somewhere and then run the maildir2mbox command.

BTW, if I was you, I would just stick with mutt and Maildir.  Maildir is
by far the best format for storing e-mail to date and mutt is an
excellent and featureful MUA, although syntax can be a bitch.  My second
recommendation would be to download the patch to make Pine work with
Maildir.  What you're trying to do, I would call a distant third.

Power to ya, though.

---
Keith
Network Engineer