qmail Digest 28 Mar 2001 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 1317

Topics (messages 59786 through 59870):

Re: alias
        59786 by: Cleiton L. Siqueira

Re: Tcpserver
        59787 by: Vincent Schonau
        59789 by: MIS - Ben Murphy
        59791 by: Sumith
        59792 by: Frank Tegtmeyer
        59795 by: Russell Nelson
        59803 by: Vincent Schonau
        59807 by: Robin S. Socha
        59809 by: MOkondo
        59810 by: Dave Sill
        59812 by: Sumith
        59817 by: Richard Zimmerman
        59819 by: Charles Cazabon
        59823 by: Bill Andersen
        59825 by: Charles Cazabon
        59827 by: Michael T. Babcock
        59830 by: Henning Brauer
        59833 by: Robin S. Socha
        59836 by: Johnson, Garrett
        59839 by: Charles Cazabon
        59840 by: Niles

500 Generic bad response
        59788 by: Andy Abshagen

Re: qmail and sms
        59790 by: MIS - Ben Murphy
        59859 by: Essy Ren

Re: Secondary SMTP-server
        59793 by: Russell Nelson
        59794 by: Russell Nelson
        59797 by: James Raftery

RE:RE: how can i run qmail on a port that is not 25 under tcpserver?
        59796 by: Lucas

Re: Tcpserver - GONE A BIT FAR ...
        59798 by: TAG
        59802 by: Charles Cazabon
        59805 by: Niles
        59811 by: Kurth Bemis
        59828 by: Henning Brauer
        59829 by: Henning Brauer
        59850 by: Kirti S. Bajwa
        59851 by: Kirti S. Bajwa
        59852 by: Brett Randall
        59857 by: Russell Nelson

users/assign Problems! Please Help.
        59799 by: Mike Jackson

Re: postings messed up
        59800 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: serial mail
        59801 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Log entry: success: did_0+0+0???
        59804 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen

Re: Symbolic link to datemail?
        59806 by: Dave Sill
        59826 by: Timothy Legant

test, it appears that my postings are not arriving
        59808 by: Mike Jackson

qmail Virus Scanner Memory question
        59813 by: John McCoy, Jr.
        59815 by: Charles Cazabon
        59820 by: John McCoy, Jr.
        59824 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Using DRAC with qmail?
        59814 by: Steven Katz
        59816 by: Charles Cazabon

Weird problem... X-MS-TNEF-Correlator
        59818 by: Kris von Mach

Random Bounce
        59821 by: jean
        59856 by: Chris Johnson
        59858 by: jean

Update on qmail/Outlook hang
        59822 by: Carey Jung

qmail won't receive email
        59831 by: Kevin Smith
        59834 by: Charles Cazabon
        59835 by: Robin S. Socha
        59837 by: Niles

migrating from MS Exchange to q-mail
        59832 by: Tuchyna, Roman
        59841 by: Mike Jackson
        59842 by: Tuchyna, Roman
        59843 by: Robin S. Socha
        59845 by: Hubbard, David
        59846 by: Mike Jackson
        59847 by: schoon.amgt.com
        59848 by: Medi Montaseri
        59849 by: Medi Montaseri
        59855 by: Al Lipscomb

ISP
        59838 by: NICOLAS Jean-Michel \(. HoME\)
        59862 by: Jörgen Persson
        59864 by: Frank Tegtmeyer

Re: rcphosts error
        59844 by: chris

qmailadmin 0.42 errors.
        59853 by: Jesús Arnáiz

qmailadmin 0.42
        59854 by: Jesús Arnáiz
        59865 by: Ismail YENIGUL

Re: [OT] supervise sshd?
        59860 by: David Benfell

Re: File permissions needed to run qfilter
        59861 by: jc.deb.ibelgique.com

Can you help me ??(about limit of the number of per process file hand
        59863 by: Baoguo Xu

newbie: relaying
        59866 by: - = k o l i s k o = -
        59867 by: Andrew Richards
        59868 by: Robert Sander
        59869 by: Frank Tegtmeyer
        59870 by: Yves Caetano

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

Did you put your domain into the "me" file? You can try to do it!
Another thing that you could try to do would be to put into the
.qmail-alias file the following text: &[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cleiton

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 04:34:04AM -0500, Robin S. Socha wrote:

> Keep in mind that a) this is not a support forum

Huh?

<URL:http://cr.yp.to/djb.html>

  * qmail support questions. Send them to the qmail mailing list instead.

Maybe you're getting carried away a bit. If this list is not a support forum
for qmail, what _is_?

Vince.

Vince,

1) Thanks for mailing in text not HTML, Robin's comments were correct,
but a little harsh i think, and maybe he did get carried away.
But lets not let this escalate to world war three..

2) The mailing list IS as I understand for support, discussions, etc.

comments/questions...

1) tcpserver -c 400....Would this number sustain after a reboot...

What Linux O/S you running?
For example if you were running RedHat 6.x / 7, then I would expect you to
find the qmail init scripts in

/etc/rc.d/init.d/

Look for qmail items in the folder, they all start with qmail-
so maybe do something like..

ls -li /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail-*

then simply vi or edit the relevant scripts, so maybe...

/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail-smtp.init
/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail-pop3d.init

find the lines (there are two - i have discovered) which need to be
modified.
you should spot them easily, then change the value from 40 to 400.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ben Murphy
murphx Innovative Solutions

Thanks Vincent!

Mr. Robin is trying to discourage newbies like me from asking for help.
Seems like this wise guy has a problem in life. Its really a bad habit to
reply rudely. So, Mr. Robin if you dont want to help just *ignore* and DONT
attempt to spoil someone's day.

And regarding the question I posted, I figured it out....there is -c40
number specified in my qmail-smtpd run script (qmail installed from memphis
rpm's) So, What would be the right number to increase this to, for a qmail
server which would handle around 30,000 mails per day. Also it would help me
to know if there is any know limitation on number of tcpserver connections
for qmail-pop3d.

Regards
Sumith

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 04:34:04AM -0500, Robin S. Socha wrote:
>
> > Keep in mind that a) this is not a support forum
>
> Huh?
>
> <URL:http://cr.yp.to/djb.html>
>
>   * qmail support questions. Send them to the qmail mailing list instead.
>
> Maybe you're getting carried away a bit. If this list is not a support
forum
> for qmail, what _is_?
>

> Vince.
>

> rpm's) So, What would be the right number to increase this to, for a qmail
> server which would handle around 30,000 mails per day.

Watch your logs and your memory use to see what number is appropriate for
your system.
If your tcpserver/smtpds use too much memory the number is too high. Set
the number lower then. Beware that this would defer many connection
attempts - if you are always at the limit of parallel connections and hyve
no more memory to spend invest in your hardware.

For 30000 mails a day -c 10 should be enough. Give it more if y<our
machine is able to do it (it should :) - this handles peaks well then.

Regards, Frank

Sumith writes:
 > Mr. Robin is trying to discourage newbies like me from asking for help.

No, he's trying to get you to try to help yourself FIRST.

 > And regarding the question I posted, I figured it out....

See?  You wasted our time because with a little more work, you
answered your own question.

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/brie/
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Watch out!  He's got an

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 06:22:58PM +0530, Sumith wrote:
> Thanks Vincent!

> Mr. Robin is trying to discourage newbies like me from asking for help.

No, he's not. FWIW: I agreed with most of what Robin wrote, but to claim
that this is not a support forum for qmail is simply wrong.

Vince.

* Vincent Schonau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010327 09:37]:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 06:22:58PM +0530, Sumith wrote:

> > Mr. Robin is trying to discourage newbies like me from asking for help.
>
> No, he's not.

Yes he is. I would very much like for newbies who don't read the FAQ or
otherwise try to help themselves to disappear.
> FWIW: I agreed with most of what Robin wrote, but to claim
> that this is not a support forum for qmail is simply wrong.

Vince, we've been there before. This ML is kept alive by a handful of
people to whom I'm greatly indebted because they have helped *me*  lot.
OTOH, *I* would have said "I'm running the Memphis RPMs version #123" in
the first place. And yes, I believe that someone who cannot do that
should *not* be running a mailserver in the first place.

Just for the record (reply-to set, this is way OT):

--
Robin S. Socha http://mail.socha.net/

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 10:00:04AM -0500, Robin S. Socha wrote:
> * Vincent Schonau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010327 09:37]:
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 06:22:58PM +0530, Sumith wrote:
>
> > > Mr. Robin is trying to discourage newbies like me from asking for help.
> >
> > No, he's not.
>
> Yes he is. I would very much like for newbies who don't read the FAQ or
> otherwise try to help themselves to disappear.
> > FWIW: I agreed with most of what Robin wrote, but to claim
> > that this is not a support forum for qmail is simply wrong.
>
> Vince, we've been there before. This ML is kept alive by a handful of
> people to whom I'm greatly indebted because they have helped *me*  lot.
> OTOH, *I* would have said "I'm running the Memphis RPMs version #123" in
> the first place. And yes, I believe that someone who cannot do that
> should *not* be running a mailserver in the first place.
>
> Just for the record (reply-to set, this is way OT):
> |qmail: For discussion of the qmail package, the qmailanalog package, the
> |dot-forward package, and the fastforward package. [...]
> |
> |Please read FAQ, PIC.*, and the other documentation in the qmail package
> |before sending your question to the qmail mailing list.
> --
> Robin S. Socha http://mail.socha.net/

now i know tcpserver a lot

--
MOkondo
i am an atheist, thank god !

Mustafa Mahudhawala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Has anybody used tcpserver for Qmail & other services out there --

Of course.

>I am using FreeBSD 4.2 and want to start my basic services like telnetd,
>ftpd along with smtp & pop3 etc using tcpserver (and tcpserver.conf)
>instead of plain tcpserver or inetd (and inetd.conf).

Scrap telnet for ssh. Scrap ftpd for ssh (authenticated) and/or
publicfile (anonymous).

What's tcpserver.conf?

>I have succesfully installed tcpserver, daemontools & tcpserver-control
>(latest versions)

What's tcpserver-control?

>But I am pretty confused about the whole lot and their ineraction.
>i.e. tcpserver - daemontools - tcpserver-control.

tcpserver listens to a specified port, accepts connections on that
port, and forks a daemon to handle the connection.

daemontools provides a set of utilities for controlling daemons
(services)--starting them, stopping them, signalling them, logging
their output, etc.

tcpserver-control I've never heard of.

>also /services & tcpserver.conf (why both)

Beats me.

-Dave

Dear All
Seems like it's all my fault for starting this WAR..
It had become a habit for me, whenever I see a problem, I panic and first
thing send a mail to the list.
My Sincere apologies for all this....I *promise* to read, study and try to
do things myself before posting to the list (In Plain TEXT and without any
lines in between). And if I do post *will* include all the relevant details.
Regards
Sumith

> Dear All
> Seems like it's all my fault for starting this WAR..
> It had become a habit for me, whenever I see a problem, I panic and first
> thing send a mail to the list.
> My Sincere apologies for all this....I *promise* to read, study and try to
> do things myself before posting to the list (In Plain TEXT and without any
> lines in between). And if I do post *will* include all the relevant
details.
> Regards
> Sumith

    Don't loose any sleep over it. Face it, some people are grouches...
That's why they invented Prozac!

   Personally, maybe the qmail list would benefit from a Qmail-Newbies list.
This way the ones who don't mind helping the newbies (like myself) can
actually get some work done instead of having to read whining / vulgar
emails!. Yes I can use the F-word just as easily as everyone else but THIS
LIST is *NOT* the place for it.

   AND before anyone flames me about not posting here, you are 100% correct!
I don't post here, I answer emails to the newbies personally and
individually so the problem or question GETS answered instead of being
ignored which has happened on this list.

   Regards,

   Richard

Richard Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    Personally, maybe the qmail list would benefit from a Qmail-Newbies list.

It's been proposed before.  There are various problems with the idea, the
main one being that newbies who won't read documentation also won't post
to the correct list.  Also, the idea itself is flawed -- why go to any
trouble at all to help someone who won't even read basic documentation?

> This way the ones who don't mind helping the newbies (like myself) can
> actually get some work done instead of having to read whining / vulgar
> emails!. Yes I can use the F-word just as easily as everyone else but THIS
> LIST is *NOT* the place for it.

On the contrary; djb himself has used it many times on this list.  I have
the archive entries to prove it.  You're not the language police; if you
don't care for the occasional blue word, please don't read this list.

>    AND before anyone flames me about not posting here, you are 100% correct!
> I don't post here, I answer emails to the newbies personally and
> individually so the problem or question GETS answered instead of being
> ignored which has happened on this list.

This compounds the problem; answers should go to the list, so that people
searching the list archives for answers will actually find them, rather
than finding only questions, and re-posting the question again.  Ad infinitum.

Charles

Charles Cazabon wrote:
>On the contrary; djb himself has used it many times on this list.  I have
>the archive entries to prove it.  You're not the language police; if you
>don't care for the occasional blue word, please don't read this list.

Well, if djb used the F-word, THAT makes it all OK! Why don't
we start calling it F***Mail then?  I'm sure Dan Bernstein would love
to be known as the creator of F***Mail... don't you?

You can debate whether rude, foul language is appropriate for a
list all you want.  I personally don't really care to see it, but
I acknowledge it's up to the individual to choose their own words.
As you said, I can choose not to subscribe and/or read the messages.

However, as any educated individual will tell you.  Your choice of
words is a direct reflection of your intellect.  Shallow people use
shallow words.  Choose any words you care to use, it will only gives
us a better insite of the validity of all your comments.

Bill Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> However, as any educated individual will tell you.  Your choice of
> words is a direct reflection of your intellect.  Shallow people use
> shallow words.

You are correct; I could have used longer terminology to communicate my
intentions, possibly substituting "intercourse" for the shorter epithet.
Instead, I chose to use the term you alluded to ("the F-word") to make
my point.  You appear to have missed the point; I'll repeat it for clarity's
sake:  please do not try to force your opinions about what language should
or should not be used on the list down the esophogi of the rest of us.

Charles

Robin S. Socha wrote:

> * Sumith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010327 04:16]:
>
> Side note: would you *PLEASE* turn off HTML in your mail and fix your
> line width - you're wasting other people's resources and make your
> messages unnecessarily hard to read. http://learn.to/edit_messages

Further side note:

To improve the s/n ratio around here, would you cease responding to people
whose comments you don't like, whose editors tweak you the wrong way or who
have funny haircuts?  Your "side notes" have been going on for _years_ on this
list and they aren't terribly profitable from the looks of the archives.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 01:03:12PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Bill Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > However, as any educated individual will tell you.  Your choice of
> > words is a direct reflection of your intellect.  Shallow people use
> > shallow words.
>
> You are correct; I could have used longer terminology to communicate my
> intentions, possibly substituting "intercourse" for the shorter epithet.
> Instead, I chose to use the term you alluded to ("the F-word") to make
> my point.  You appear to have missed the point; I'll repeat it for clarity's
> sake:  please do not try to force your opinions about what language should
> or should not be used on the list down the esophogi of the rest of us.

And don't forget that there are many non-native english speakers on this
list (like muself), their selection of words may be influenced by a
different culture or - simply not knowing the "shallow" word.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14

* Bill Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Richard Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[quoting corrected]

>>> This way the ones who don't mind helping the newbies (like myself)
>>> can actually get some work done instead of having to read whining /
>>> vulgar emails!. Yes I can use the F-word just as easily as everyone
>>> else but THIS LIST is *NOT* the place for it.

>> On the contrary; djb himself has used it many times on this list.  I
>> have the archive entries to prove it.  You're not the language police;
>> if you don't care for the occasional blue word, please don't read this
>> list.

> Well, if djb used the F-word, THAT makes it all OK!

Yup. His suite of programs, his list. He God. You luser. Easy.

The gang of lusers you're trying to protect here *has* *not* provided
sufficient information. They were pointed at the correct links from
google. They were shown how to use their mailtoys correctly (you don't
give a toss about what your mail looks like, eh? Tell you what: there is
a reason why people use quote strings). Do they care? No. Do the people
who devote their time to trying to help people with problems get paid
for this? No. So you don't care - tough luck. Contribute nothing, expect
nothing.

> However, as any educated individual will tell you.

Parse error.

> Your choice of words is a direct reflection of your intellect.

Tell me, Bill, how would you know?

> Choose any words you care to use, it will only gives us a better
> insite of the validity of all your comments.

You are so full of yourself your eyeballs must be brown. In case you
haven't noticed: this is a technical mailing list. Take your political
correctness and shove it. This is not a "I'm a pathetic luser with
limited reading abilities and gosh! it would be, like, rillyrilly nice
if you guys could read out the docs to me."  list. This a mailing list
where - in good times - some people get some real problems solved and
others benefit from the answers. If you cannot grasp this concept, you
are *in* *the* *wrong* *place*
--
Robin S. Socha <http://mail.socha.net/>
Note to experienced users: Please don't encourage anti-support behavior.

Kuhl.
  In that case who do I talk to to get unsubscribed from this group?
I already tried unsubscribing from the web page and it acted like it
took it, but I'm still getting emails a day later.

Garrett Johnson
SFGH, Dean's Office, School of Medicine

Johnson, Garrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   In that case who do I talk to to get unsubscribed from this group?
> I already tried unsubscribing from the web page and it acted like it
> took it, but I'm still getting emails a day later.

Removal instructions are included in the confirmation mail you got from
ezmlm when you signed up.  They're also in the headers of every message.
Hint:  use the -help address for extra removal instructions.

Charles
> I already tried unsubscribing from the web page and it acted like it
> took it, but I'm still getting emails a day later.

Look at the headers of the mail you recieve from the list and look at
the return path.  There you will find the address you have subscribed
under. For example:
indicate [EMAIL PROTECTED] was subscribed.

To unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] from the list, send a mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Then reply to the confirmation request and you will be removed from
the list.

OK.  I think I'm correct in finding that the above error code is not
generated by Qmail.  If not can someone correct me.

And if I am correct any idea where some people may be getting this error
from and/or why.  I have several people trying to send to someone at one of
the domains that we host that are getting this error.  From everything I can
tell the message is being generated by the senders side (all of which have
been on Exchange servers).

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Andy Abshagen
System Administrator
Data-Vision, Inc.
888-925-8625, 219-243-8625
Fax 219-243-8630
www.d-vision.com, www.loanquoter.com, www.remotedocs.com, www.plankeeper.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Essy,

Do a search on freshmeat.net for sms, and that should return a shed
of scripts which can send sms to public sms servers / networks.
Find one that suits your scenario best.

Next you need to setup ~user/.qmail file.
Add a line in the file beginning with |

I think some of the boys & girls on this list use things like
preline or similar in conjunction with ~user/.qmail file to deliver
mail to other programs.

This is basically what you want to do.
It would appear straight-forward, what you need to do is basically
use the .qmail file to pass the header information as parameters to the
sms program.

Anyone want to comment on which variables would supply header info of email
to use within .qmail to send to a program (without being flamed if info
resides
in some obscure man file).

Regards,

Ben Murphy
murphx Innovative Solutions

i have install sms_client-2.0.8y
i live in Indonesia
and here is the output :

root@/home/essy/public_html/sms_client-2.0.8y>sms_client mtn:628164821479
"test"
Dialing SMSC 0839009000...
WARNING: read() Timeout
WARNING: read() Timeout
ERROR: Timeout: searching for +<CR><LF>+ failed after 10 seconds
ERROR: MODEM: Setting Local echo Failed
ERROR: Timeout of 300 Seconds expired for service 'mtn'
ERROR: Forcibly Terminated Process for service 'mtn'
ERROR: Process '30214' terminated
Total Elapsed Time: 300 Seconds

is this because I live in Indonesia or there's anything that causes this
error ?

Andreas Grip writes:
 > I have 2 SMTP-servers running qmail placed on diffret physical location with
 > diffrent internet connections, so if my primary SMTP server is down or the
 > connection is broken the e-mails will end up on the secondary.

How is this an improvement over having the email remain on the
sender's computer?  Unless you've got some sort of system which lets
your users read email off of the secondary machine, there is zero
benefit to receiving the email on your own computer as opposed to
leaving it on the sender's.

 > Putting the rcpthosts file on the secondary server is not an option because
 > the file will be out of date almost immediately and the configuration I have
 > will not allow me to have a scheduled script that downloading that file.

You have identified the cause of your problem.

--

James Raftery writes:
 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 12:33:18PM +0200, Andreas Grip wrote:
 > > But my problem are, if someone is trying to use my secondary SMTP-server for
 > > open relaying, the messages are routed to the primary server and that server
 > > rejects them.
 >
 > So configure your secondary server properly. Stop it being an open
 > relay.

Well, but he doesn't.  He's using a wildcard smtproute because he
doesn't want to have to tell his secondary exactly which domains it
should be secondarying.  So *all* the email goes to his primary.  He
can either keep a list of domains in smtproutes, and only send those
to the primary, or he can keep them the heck off his secondary by
using rcpthosts in the first place.

--

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 08:39:38AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> He can either keep a list of domains in smtproutes, and only send those
> to the primary, or he can keep them the heck off his secondary by
> using rcpthosts in the first place.

Exactly. But he's doing the former now and is unhappy with it. That
leaves the latter as the only other course of action.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's

> I really should get some sleep... Please accept my apologies.... I made a
> mistake in my previous message to you.
No problem thanks a lot !
> exec tcpserver -R -H -v -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u qmaild -g nobody 0 smtp \

^^
#######from tcpserver page########
tcpserver waits for connections from TCP clients. For each connection, it
runs prog, with descriptor 0 reading from the network and descriptor 1
writing to the network. It also sets up several environment variables.
############end##################
I were asking what that zero meant ? The same I dont figured when I would be
"writing" to the network.

> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | \
> ^^^^^
> /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 10 &
I understand it you "pipes" the stdout and error to the logger. Great !
But see as is configured in "Life with qmail"
Create the /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run file:
#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
        -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
2>&1
####****** here the stdout and error are redirected to ???? I dont
understand !
----
Note: concurrencyincoming isn't a standard qmail control file. It's a
feature of the above script.
----
Create the concurrencyincoming control file:
    echo 20 > /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming
    chmod 644 /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming
Create the /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/log/run file:
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/setuidgid qmaill /usr/local/bin/multilog t
/var/log/qmail/smtpd
#######*******I dont undertand how to "multilog" catch the output and error
from qmail-smptd ???

end of "Life with qmail"
THX. a lot

HI ALL,

I am shocked and appalled at the absolute lack of courtesy, help and
sympathy that is on this list.  I have been here a while and while there
comes a few newbies that can really ask some dumb questions - we were
all there once...

Have some patience and help those less experienced than yourselves.  If
you do not like this - BUGGER OFF...

Those that do not RTFM (read the F'ing manual) sometimes do not have the
time or the knowhow on where to find it - and that is why we have a
mailing list - so we can ask others that know - and stop this needless
bickering and band together.

Sorry to those who are offended - but thats tough ...
Thanks
Tonino

TAG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Those that do not RTFM (read the F'ing manual) sometimes do not have the
> time or the knowhow on where to find it - and that is why we have a
> mailing list - so we can ask others that know - and stop this needless
> bickering and band together.

No.  Those that do not have the "knowhow" on where to find the fucking manual
(in the tarball with the source code!  what an idea!) shouldn't be running
computers at all, let alone an MTA on the internet.

We have a mailing list so that we can investigate trouble reports from
users who have already read (and understood) the documentation, but are
running into situations not covered in it, and so that we can discuss
possible solutions to complicated problems.

Basic guide for newbies:  if for some reason you think it is easier to just
post your FAQ to the mailing list, rather than reading the documentation,
where it is clearly answered, you need to a) grow up, and b) get a clue.

Charles

Charles Cazabon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No.  Those that do not have the "knowhow" on where to find the
fucking manual
> (in the tarball with the source code!  what an idea!) shouldn't be
running
> computers at all, let alone an MTA on the internet.

Welcome to the second millenium where clueless folks abound on the
internet.
And it is a good thing too.  Without them we'd be back in the days
when only .edu's
and .gov's existed on the 'net.  Sure, it was a nice little community
and we were all
able to keep our noses glued to the overhead, but who cared?

At 08:56 AM 3/27/2001, TAG wrote:
>HI ALL,

Greetings,

>I am shocked and appalled at the absolute lack of courtesy, help and
>sympathy that is on this list.  I have been here a while and while there
>comes a few newbies that can really ask some dumb questions - we were
>all there once...

There is a distinct difference between someone who genuine doesn't know and
someone that just doesn't read documentation.  "How do i get qmail to start
at boot?" is a classic example of  someone not reading LFQ.

>Have some patience and help those less experienced than yourselves.  If
>you do not like this - BUGGER OFF...

It gets tiring to see the same 5 questions......recently someone asked me
off list that LFQ didn't cover apache with PHP installation.  I said that
there was reason for this.  APACHE AND PHP AREN'T EVEN RE MOTLEY RELATED TO
QMAIL!!!!!!

>Those that do not RTFM (read the F'ing manual) sometimes do not have the
>time or the knowhow on where to find it - and that is why we have a
>mailing list - so we can ask others that know - and stop this needless
>bickering and band together.

If you can't find a web site i'm surprised if you can boot lilo.  Chances
you got qmail from qmail.org...and what else is on qmail.org?...a whole
section for documentation.  Its very hard to miss...theres only about 30
links there :-)

If you don't know how to read man pages use ./configure or make or learn to
find documentation then you shouldn't even be looking at LINUX or other
UNIX.  (And for all those of you that are wondering, NO! Qmail will NOT run
on Windows. :-))  It comes down to laziness and i think that a newbie qmail
list would be good.  I wouldn't subscribe...but it give the newbies a
chance to work together and figure out how to read documentation. :-)

>Sorry to those who are offended - but thats tough ...

I don't feel that its offensive...I have posted much worse to the
misc@openbsd list. :-)

>Thanks
>Tonino

~kurth

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:56:03PM +0200, TAG wrote:
> Those that do not RTFM (read the F'ing manual) sometimes do not have the
> time

Huh? This should be a legitimation to waste listmembers time??? That's not
the way things work.

> and that is why we have a
> mailing list

We have this mailinglist for discussing problems NOT covered by the manuals,
for discussing patches and technical details.

> - so we can ask others that know - and stop this needless
> bickering and band together.

Go an get a life.

--

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 10:54:26AM -0500, Kurth Bemis wrote:
> >I am shocked and appalled at the absolute lack of courtesy, help and
> >sympathy that is on this list.  I have been here a while and while there
> >comes a few newbies that can really ask some dumb questions - we were
> >all there once...
> There is a distinct difference between someone who genuine doesn't know and
> someone that just doesn't read documentation.  "How do i get qmail to start
> at boot?" is a classic example of  someone not reading LFQ.

LFQ should be LWQ...
But it is even covered by the documentation in the source tarball...

> I have posted much worse to the
> misc@openbsd list. :-)

Yes, that's true ;-))
But you learned your lesson - I don't think this guy here will...

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

"Basic guide for newbies:  if for some reason you think it is easier to just
post your FAQ to the mailing list, rather than reading the documentation,
where it is clearly answered, you need to a) grow up, and b) get a clue."

I think the most important thing is this write-up is ".... where it is
clearly answered... ".

I have read most document 20-30 times and seldom find them " clearly
answered ". Some of you who are annoyed, please consider:

(1) someone who is starting NEW needs little bit extra help then "f'ing" in
response
(2) I have seen posting from Spain, Germany, etc. Such individuals has
English as their second language.

I was going to add few more.. but decided to leave it only to above.

Kirt

> Those that do not RTFM (read the F'ing manual) sometimes do not have the
> time or the knowhow on where to find it - and that is why we have a
> mailing list - so we can ask others that know - and stop this needless
> bickering and band together.

No.  Those that do not have the "knowhow" on where to find the fucking
manual
(in the tarball with the source code!  what an idea!) shouldn't be running
computers at all, let alone an MTA on the internet.

We have a mailing list so that we can investigate trouble reports from
users who have already read (and understood) the documentation, but are
running into situations not covered in it, and so that we can discuss
possible solutions to complicated problems.

Basic guide for newbies:  if for some reason you think it is easier to just
post your FAQ to the mailing list, rather than reading the documentation,
where it is clearly answered, you need to a) grow up, and b) get a clue.

Charles
where it is clearly answered, you need to a) grow up, and b) get a clue."

I think the most important thing is this write-up is ".... where it is
clearly answered... ".

I have read most document 20-30 times and seldom find them " clearly
answered ". Some of you who are annoyed, please consider:

(1) someone who is starting NEW needs little bit extra help then "f'ing" in
response
(2) I have seen posting from Spain, Germany, etc. Such individuals has
English as their second language.

I was going to add few more.. but decided to leave it only to above.

Kirt

> Those that do not RTFM (read the F'ing manual) sometimes do not have the
> time or the knowhow on where to find it - and that is why we have a
> mailing list - so we can ask others that know - and stop this needless
> bickering and band together.

No.  Those that do not have the "knowhow" on where to find the fucking
manual
(in the tarball with the source code!  what an idea!) shouldn't be running
computers at all, let alone an MTA on the internet.

We have a mailing list so that we can investigate trouble reports from
users who have already read (and understood) the documentation, but are
running into situations not covered in it, and so that we can discuss
possible solutions to complicated problems.

Basic guide for newbies:  if for some reason you think it is easier to just
post your FAQ to the mailing list, rather than reading the documentation,
where it is clearly answered, you need to a) grow up, and b) get a clue.

Charles

This thread reminds me of an old mail!

From: "Some, User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Another Person'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Person 2'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "JNELSON'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "PERSON 3'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "PERSON 4'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "JHAMM'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "PERSON5'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "PERSON6"
         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Contact: Me
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:22:44 -0800

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0B4A0.2EFD58FA

  <<DuPont St_.doc>>
Another Person,

<email message>

Thanks, Some User

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0B4A0.2EFD58FA
        filename="DuPont St_.doc"

0M8R4KGxGuEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPgADAP7/CQAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAMwAAAAAAAAAA
EAAANQAAAAEAAAD+////AAAAADIAAAD/////////////////////////////////////////////
<<CUT OFF>>

Second email:

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:22:44 -0800

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0B4A0.2EFD58FA

Another Person,

<email message>

Thanks, Some User

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0B4A0.2EFD58FA

eJ8+Ii4UAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQTS5NaWNy
b3NvZnQgTWFpbC5Ob3RlADEIAQuAAQAhAAAAMkQwQTQ0MkRGMTFGRDUxMTk0QjUwMDgwNUZCQjVG
<<CUT OFF>>

__
Kris.

I am currently using our isp's qmail server as the primary.  I have two
boxes in house, one behind the firewall and one in dmz which will replace
isp's once I feel comfortable about stability.  One reason I am still
uncomfortable; if my isp (local but handles several large companies and
thousands of dial-up) who has so much more experience running qmail than I
can't figure out a "mysterious" bouce problem, how will I cross that bridge?

The random bounce occurs both for aliased accounts and actual accounts.  The
bounce message shows rcpt address as being correctly entered.  Can anyone
suggest where to begin looking?  So I can steer the isp in the right
direction?

TIA,
jean

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 10:01:31AM -0800, jean wrote:
> The random bounce occurs both for aliased accounts and actual accounts.  The
> bounce message shows rcpt address as being correctly entered.  Can anyone
> suggest where to begin looking?  So I can steer the isp in the right
> direction?

I don't suppose you'd care to share one of these bounce messages with us, would
you? Otherwise, we'll have to rely on mind-reading.

Chris

PGP signature

Gee, why didn't I think of that?  I'll do that tomorrow morning when I get
to work.  Actually, I didn't think to do that because the message is
run-of-the-mill (to my untrained eyes, that is ;-)

> Can you actually post the bounce message for diagnostic purposes?

Folks,

Just a quick update on a problem I queried the list on a few days ago, in
which Outlook sometimes hangs on a message.  Doing some extensive tcpdump
tracing and analysis, we've found that Outlook hangs in at least the
following situations:

1) Periods (.) in a message that end up at the very end of a tcp/ip packet
during transport to the Outlook client.
2) Null (zero) characters in a message (not sure if they, too, have to be at
the end of a packet or not.

This appears to be a problem with Outlook 98 and 2000.  Installing Office
2000 SR-1 seems to fix the problem, at least in the cases we've seen.

By the way, nulls in messages appear to also hang Eudora (not sure which
version), though we only have one confirmed case of that.

Hope this is useful to somebody out there in qmail land....

Carey Jung
IT Freedom
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
512.419.0070, fax 419.0080

I had a queue of over 6500 messages which weren't needed and was locally
generated by a faulty cron job, which has now been sorted.... anyway...

The problem I have now is I cannot send any email with qmail as I get the
following error :

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Test', Account: 'Kevin Smith',
Server: 'dwshop2.dedic.web.xara.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451
qq trouble creating files in queue (#4.3.0)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC6A

Because I had a huge queue of messages I did not need, I stopped qmail by
this command, kill -TERM [pid] and then removed alls the files from the
following directories :

    /var/qmail/queue/info
    /var/qmail/queue/local
    /var/qmail/queue/mess
    /var/qmail/queue/remote

Then restarted qmail which was fine, with the following command :

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start ./Maildir/ splogger qmail &

When I then try to send an email, I get the error as above, any idea how I
can fix this ?

Many thanks,

Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Test', Account: 'Kevin Smith',
> Server: 'dwshop2.dedic.web.xara.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451
> qq trouble creating files in queue (#4.3.0)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
> Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC6A
>
> Because I had a huge queue of messages I did not need, I stopped qmail by
> this command, kill -TERM [pid] and then removed alls the files from the
> following directories :
>
>     /var/qmail/queue/info
>     /var/qmail/queue/local
>     /var/qmail/queue/mess
>     /var/qmail/queue/remote

qmail can't create files in the queue.  One of the following is true:

-out of disk space
-out of inodes
-permissions on the queue directories are wrong
-ownership of the queue directories are wrong

queue-fix (available from www.qmail.org) can fix this.  Or, stop qmail,
rm -rf /var/qmail/queue (you'll lose all mail in the queue), and run
"make setup check" from the qmail source directory.

Charles

* Kevin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Because I had a huge queue of messages I did not need, I stopped qmail
> by this command, kill -TERM [pid] and then removed alls the files from
> the following directories :
>     /var/qmail/queue/info /var/qmail/queue/local /var/qmail/queue/mess
>     /var/qmail/queue/remote

> Then restarted qmail which was fine

It wasn't. Grab your sources, stop qmail and say "make setup check" to
re-create your queue. This is a FAQ.
--
Robin S. Socha <http://socha.net/>

Kevin Smith wrote:

> The problem I have now is I cannot send any email with qmail as I
get the
> following error :
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Test', Account: 'Kevin
Smith',
> Server: 'dwshop2.dedic.web.xara.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server
Response: '451
> qq trouble creating files in queue (#4.3.0)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
No,
> Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC6A

This is just a guess, but I think you will have to recreate your queue
directory structure.  I know there is a utility called queue-fix that
will make the job easier.

Hello,
does anybody have any experience with migrating from MS-Exchange to q-mail
on Linux ?

Thank you in advance!
Best regards,

Roman Tuchyna

  Roman Tuchyna                           S&T Slovakia, s.r.o.
  phone: +421769258111, +421769258109     Polianky 5
  fax: +421769258212                      844 04 Bratislava
  E-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Slovakia
  http://www.snt.sk

"Tuchyna, Roman" wrote:

> Hello,
> does anybody have any experience with migrating from MS-Exchange to q-mail
> on Linux ?
>
> Thank you in advance!
> Best regards,
>
> Roman Tuchyna
>
>   _____________________________________________________________
>   Roman Tuchyna                           S&T Slovakia, s.r.o.
>   phone: +421769258111, +421769258109     Polianky 5
>   fax: +421769258212                      844 04 Bratislava
>   E-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Slovakia
>   http://www.snt.sk
>   _____________________________________________________________

Subject:
       Finally a tool to convert Outlook to mbox
   Date:
       Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:20:43 +0200
  From:
       Mike Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    To:
       [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Finally there is a tool to convert outlook mailstores to unix format
(mbox). One downside is that it only runs in windows (they get ya comin'
and goin'). It could be modified to alternatively output to maildir, or
the mbox2maildir script could just be ran afterwards as part of the mail
server upgrade process.

>From the KDE Kmail pages at:  http://kmail.kde.org/download.html

out2unix ---> http://www.active-com.de/out2unix/

Have Fun!
Mike

O.K., but how can that tool help it the mailboxes are on the MS-Exchange
server and users are using just JAVA GUI of MS-Exchange ?

Thank you again!
Roman

* Tuchyna, Roman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> does anybody have any experience with migrating from MS-Exchange to
> q-mail on Linux ?

Will you take "yes" for an answer? You lose stuff like appointment
management, but you get an Operating System and an MTA that works. If
you don't want to lose that groupware functionality, take a look at HP's
OpenMail (which uses sendmail AFAICS).
--
Robin S. Socha <http://socha.net/>
Note to experienced users: Please don't encourage anti-support behavior.
Don't try to answer questions from users who don't provide the necessary
information. Guessing what they did is an incredible waste of time. (DJB)

Speaking of OpenMail, I've never used it but there
was a good editorial in InfoWorld two weeks ago
that talked about how great it was.  It didn't
go into detail on the product but it did say
that HP has decided to cancel future development
of it because it was obvious that OpenMail would be
an MS Exchange killer in every way and they don't
want to ruin their relationship with Microsoft.

Dave

"Tuchyna, Roman" wrote:

> O.K., but how can that tool help it the mailboxes are on the MS-Exchange
> server and users are using just JAVA GUI of MS-Exchange ?
>
> Thank you again!
> Roman

That is left as an exercise for the motivated administrator.

Mike

IIRC, HP OpenMail on Linux has been discontinued. Another option is to
look at TradeServer from Bynari - http://www.bynari.com

HTH

.mark

>----------

I don't think Appoinment have to anything to do with email. Its Microsoft's way
of proving its worth.

From an IT management point of view keep your resouces seperate. Or one day
you'll be paying for it. Just like  the idea of TV with VCR built in it.

If you recall, there was something monolithic called Mainframe. We then took to streets
to distribute them....I think it was the push for open systems and distributed system.
Vendors would use any chance they get to sucker users into yet another monolithic
environment.

"Robin S. Socha" wrote:

* Tuchyna, Roman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> does anybody have any experience with migrating from MS-Exchange to
> q-mail on Linux ?

Will you take "yes" for an answer? You lose stuff like appointment
management, but you get an Operating System and an MTA that works. If
you don't want to lose that groupware functionality, take a look at HP's
OpenMail (which uses sendmail AFAICS).
--
Robin S. Socha <http://socha.net/>
Note to experienced users: Please don't encourage anti-support behavior.
Don't try to answer questions from users who don't provide the necessary
information. Guessing what they did is an incredible waste of time. (DJB)

Medi Montaseri, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 408-450-7114
Prepass Inc, IT/Operations, Software Eng.

In theory, you could use an Outlook express as such a gateway.
Outlook express speaks IMAP and MS Exchange. MS Exchange can
export a .PST file containing every thing in the user's inbox, outbox, etc.

Outlook express can import such .pst files. One  can (in theory) simply
read from a PST file and then push it up to a local folder on the IMAP
server.

This has not been proven to work...its an idea...

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 10:36:50PM +0200, Tuchyna, Roman wrote:
> Hello,
> does anybody have any experience with migrating from MS-Exchange to q-mail
> on Linux ?
>
> Thank you in advance!
> Best regards,

Never done it but I could offer some simple suggestions:

1) Exchange can handle mail using POP3 and/or IMAP4.

Pick how you want your clients to access mail in the future and get them
running on that software with the current Exchange server and POP3 or
IMAP4 access.

2) Exchange can forward an accounts email to another box.

So that you do not have to convert everything at once move a few boxes
to the qmail system. Have Exchange forward their mail. Once things
are solid on the qmail system let it handle the inbound SMTP traffic
and forward non-local mail to the Exchange server.

3) If the server will run Exchange it should run Linux. Please recycle.

--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net

Hi all,

I'm a small ISP (2500 mailbox).

I want to install qmail.

I'm looking for information about BSMTP (hosting mail domain and deliver mail to dialup server).

Where can I find information (example/configuration) ?

Thx :)

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:23:26PM +0200, NICOLAS Jean-Michel (@ HoME) wrote:
[snip]
> I'm looking for information about BSMTP (hosting mail domain and
> deliver mail to dialup server).
>
> Where can I find information (example/configuration) ?

serialmail by Bernstein might do the trick...

Jörgen

> > I'm looking for information about BSMTP (hosting mail domain and
> > deliver mail to dialup server).
> >
> > Where can I find information (example/configuration) ?
>
> serialmail by Bernstein might do the trick...

For compressed batches over UUCP the BSMTP package by Olaf Titz would be
better. It's on www.qmail.org.

Regards, Frank

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated. I m getting the following
error

Starting: qmail pop tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already used
smtp

I think that it has something to do with the fact that the file
/var/vpopmai/etc/tcp.smtp.cbd is owned by vpopmail:vchkpw

If I were to compile vpopmail to look for the tcp.smtp.cbd in /etc or some
other location would that make a difference?

P.S. My clients are receive BEFORE they try to send.
---[ Excerpt of my start up script ]---

HOSTNAME=`hostname`
QMAILDUID=`id -u vpopmail`
NOFILESGID=`id -u vchkpw`

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)

        echo -n "Starting: "
        env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
        qmail-start ./Maildir/ /usr/local/bin/accustamp \
        | /usr/local/bin/setuidgid qmaill /usr/local/bin/cyclog
        /var/log/qmail &
        echo -n "qmail "

        env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
        tcpserver -H -R -c100 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
        $HOSTNAME \
        /var/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &
        echo -n "pop "

        env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
        tcpserver -H -R -x /var/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cbd -c100 \
        -u$QMAILDUID -g$NOFILESGID 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
        2>&1 > /dev/null &
        echo "smtp"

Hi!

I try to compile qmailadmin0.42, but I get this errors:

----

[<root@integrity> /servers/src/qmailadmin-0.42]#
./configure -enable-cgibindir=/servers/apache/cgi-bin --enable-htmldir=/servers/apache
/htdocs -enable-qmaildir=/servers/qmail --enable-ezmlmdir=/servers/ezmlm/

[<root@integrity> /servers/src/qmailadmin-0.42]# make
make  all-recursive
gcc -I.     -g -O2 -c qmailadmin.c
qmailadmin.c:30: vpopmail.h: No such file or directory
qmailadmin.c:31: vauth.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /servers/src/qmailadmin-0.42.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /servers/src/qmailadmin-0.42.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /servers/src/qmailadmin-0.42.
-----

I use vpopmail 4.9.6-1

any help??

Thanks in advance

--
Jesús Arnáiz
0z0ne Inc I+D/IT Manager

[...]

give  following option too

    --enable-vpopuser=vpopmail

byee

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 10:22:20AM -0500, Peter Cavender wrote:
> I want to run the openssh daemon under supervise...should my "run" script be:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/local/sbin/sshd -D
>
> I am not sure what options to use with sshd.
> As above it seems to work;
> if I use no options it flips out;
> using fghack it seems to work but I always get a zombied (initial)
> sshd process.
>

> Anybody else doing this?

Yes, I am.  My run script looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec fghack /usr/local/sbin/sshd <&-

I don't know what -D does.  You probably meant to use -d (debug);
while it suppresses sshd's urge to background itself, it also only
allows one connection.  This is fine if you have a good connection
which never drops.  Unfortunately, I'm having a little trouble in that
department about now, so I managed to lock myself out of my system
doing that.  (Fortunately, I have two routes into my internal
network.)  Also fortunately, -d turns out not to be needed.

--
David Benfell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                [from fortune]

PGP signature

I reply to my own message hoping informations will help somebody else.

/var/qmail/qfilter          (directory)
-> as another qmail dir

/var/qmail/qfilter/tmp      (directory)
-> 700 (or 1777) qmaild.qmail (assuming user "qmaild" is running
tcpserver for smtp)

/var/qmail/qfilter/qfilter-test   (file)
  containing, e.g. :
    #!/usr/sh
    exec /usr/bin/qmail-qfilter /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -n
-> 755 as another script

/var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue        (file)
-> The same as qmail installed it.
(needs to be setuid, mine is 4755 qmailq.qmail owned)

/usr/bin/qmail-qfilter            (file)
-> 755 or 711 (or even 111), as long as its executable

Thanks to M. Guenter.

Jean-Christophe D.

--- Jean-Christophe Debosschère <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all,

Could someone please tell me exactly what are the permissions (+
UID/GID) I have to set for :

/var/qmail/qfilter                         (directory)

/var/qmail/qfilter/tmp                 (directory)
  (needed to compile qfilter as I read in qfilter's README file)

/var/qmail/qfilter/qfilter-test      (file)
  containing :
    #!/usr/sh
    exec /usr/bin/qmail-qfilter /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -n

/var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue     (file)

/usr/bin/qmail-qfilter                 (file)

I searched solutions in archives but I jumped from errors to
errors... now I'm lost :-(

TIA

Jean-Christophe
--- End forwarded message ---

Dear All,
    I am newer of learning FreeBSD and qmail. Now when I config the limit of the
number of per process file handles for qmail to send about a concurrencyremote of 1000
,I meet the question that I can not increase the number of file handles about a
concurrencyremote of 500 (I have patched the patch ).
    I modify the types.h file at /usr/src/sys/sys/types.h ,and set "#define FD_SETSIZE
     4096" ,but when I do "make" in the install firld ,there is some mistakes :

./chkspawn
Oops. Your system's FD_SET() has a hidden limit of 1024 descriptors.
This means that the qmail daemons could crash if you set the run-time
concurrency higher than 509. So I'm going to insist that the concurrency
limit in conf-spawn be at most 509. Right now it's 600.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/zsh/qmail/qmail-1.03.

So I am very hurry. I think you can help me .
Thank you very much

Sincerely, wings

Hi all,

I have on my server qmail installed. Before i had sendmail.
In sendmail i had not open relay. But Now in qmail
i have.

I dont want open relay.
I red on the http://www.palomine.net/qmail/relaying.html page that
is important put only (in my case egarden.cz domain) allow domain
to the /etc/qmail/rcpthosta. So I putted the only egarden.cz domain
to the rcpthosta, then restart qmail but open relay is still functional.
:-((

Could You help me?

my server is egarden.cz

info:
0 root@egarden:qmail# pwd
/etc/qmail
1 root@egarden:qmail# v
total 24
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Mar 28 11:51 ./
drwxr-x--x   64 root     root         4096 Mar 28 10:56 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           27 Mar 27 13:35 locals
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           11 Mar 27 11:24 me
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           11 Mar 28 11:51 rcpthosta
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     qmail        4096 Mar 27 14:28 users/
0 root@egarden:qmail# cat locals
egarden.cz
os2.cz
sinaj.cz
0 root@egarden:qmail# cat me
egarden.cz
0 root@egarden:qmail# cat rcpthosta
egarden.cz

0 root@egarden:qmail# telnet 0 25
Trying 0.0.0.0...
Connected to 0.
Escape character is '^]'.
helo 220 egarden.cz ESMTP
helo seznam.cz
250 egarden.cz
mail from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
250 ok
rcpt to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
250 ok
data
354 go ahead
Subject: test relay

this is only relaying test.
kolisko
.
250 ok 985773667 qp 23681
quit
221 egarden.cz
Connection closed by foreign host.
1 root@egarden:qmail#

S pozdravem,
Michal Kolesar
+420 608 225025
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.egarden.cz
server of free unix services

Michal,

> I dont want open relay.
> I red on the http://www.palomine.net/qmail/relaying.html page that
> is important put only (in my case egarden.cz domain) allow domain
> to the /etc/qmail/rcpthosta. So I putted the only egarden.cz domain
> to the rcpthosta, then restart qmail but open relay is still functional.

Not
   rcpthosta
but
   rcpthosts

- that should fix your problem. Also note that qmail
is normally installed in /var/qmail, not /etc/qmail. I
presume you altered /var/qmail to /etc/qmail in
conf-home when compiling qmail. If not, put your
control files in /var/qmail/control instead.

cheers,

Andrew.

On 28 Mar 2001 12:07:40 +0200,
 - = k o l i s k o = - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>0 root@egarden:qmail# cat locals
>egarden.cz
>os2.cz
>sinaj.cz
>0 root@egarden:qmail# cat me
>egarden.cz
>0 root@egarden:qmail# cat rcpthosta
>egarden.cz
>
>0 root@egarden:qmail# telnet 0 25
>Trying 0.0.0.0...
>Connected to 0.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>helo 220 egarden.cz ESMTP
>helo seznam.cz
>250 egarden.cz
>mail from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>250 ok
>rcpt to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>250 ok
>data
>354 go ahead
>Subject: test relay
>
>this is only relaying test.
>kolisko
>.
>250 ok 985773667 qp 23681
>quit
>221 egarden.cz
>Connection closed by foreign host.

You connected from Your own host. I think You have additionally a cdb
for the tcpserver where qmail-smtpd is running under, where
RELAYCLIENT="" is set. Look for something like this.
It is perfectly OK when You do selective relaying based on IP-addresses
You know and trust.

Greetings
--
Robert Sander
Computer Scientist                                       Epigenomics AG

> is important put only (in my case egarden.cz domain) allow domain
> to the /etc/qmail/rcpthosta. So I putted the only egarden.cz domain
> to the rcpthosta, then restart qmail but open relay is still functional.

This file is called rcpthosts, not rcpthosta.

Normally it resides under /var/qmail/control. Unless you know exactly what
you do, you should not change qmails paths.

Regards, Frank

hi,

try to run qmail with tcpserver. in tcpserver you will buid a file where
you can specifiy which ip will be able to relay or not.

for further informations read the man pages of tcpserver...they are very
helpfull :-)

cu ycae

- = k o l i s k o = - wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have on my server qmail installed. Before i had sendmail.
> In sendmail i had not open relay. But Now in qmail
> i have.
>
> I dont want open relay.
> I red on the http://www.palomine.net/qmail/relaying.html page that
> is important put only (in my case egarden.cz domain) allow domain
> to the /etc/qmail/rcpthosta. So I putted the only egarden.cz domain
> to the rcpthosta, then restart qmail but open relay is still functional.
> :-((
>
> Could You help me?
>
> my server is egarden.cz
>
> info:
> 0 root@egarden:qmail# pwd
> /etc/qmail
> 1 root@egarden:qmail# v
> total 24
> drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Mar 28 11:51 ./
> drwxr-x--x   64 root     root         4096 Mar 28 10:56 ../
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           27 Mar 27 13:35 locals
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           11 Mar 27 11:24 me
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           11 Mar 28 11:51 rcpthosta
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     qmail        4096 Mar 27 14:28 users/
> 0 root@egarden:qmail# cat locals
> egarden.cz
> os2.cz
> sinaj.cz