Gary Law <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I decided to go for the relay-ctrl idea suggested by Charles and James who
> responded to my last message. However, I've got a number of issues:-

Bruce Guenter, the author of relay-ctrl, maintains his own mailing lists for
his software.  You may want to try on those lists in future for particular
problems you have with his software.

> where references were made to configs being stored in directorys that don't
> exist I created the directories (as root) and I've not changed the owner or
> permissions.

Okay.  You may need to change some of them; it depends.

> I put the following in rc.local:
>
> tcpserver -v -u 2850 -g 32750 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
> 2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &

You're missing the other argument you need:

    -x /etc/tcpcontrol/smtp.cdb

This is what actually allows the relaying, by setting the RELAYCLIENT
variable for IP addresses which have authenticated via POP3 in the previous
fifteen minutes.

> I put
>
> */20 * * * * /usr/sbin/relay-ctrl-age
>
> into my crontab... and here's my first problem. Cron is now outputting:-
>
> /usr/bin/tcprules: No such file or directory
>
> the tcprules is in fact in
> /usr/local/bin
> what's the best solution? symlink?

Sure.  That works well.