On 11-Apr-2001 Tim Legant wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 10:21:03PM +0200, Marco Calistri wrote:
>> On 11-Apr-2001 Dave Sill wrote:
>> > Have you verified that QMAILMFTFILE is set in the shell you're sending
>> > the test mail from? Show us the contents of your .lists file, the test
>> > message you sent, and the message you received.
>> Hi Dave,honoured for your answer!
>> I'am sending mail through XFMail-1.4.7p2...I really ignore what's the shell
>> used in this case :-(
>
> But a shell must run at some point to set the QMAILMFTFILE variable.
> If you open an XTerm and run printenv, is it set?

Hi Tim...:

[ik5bcu@linux ik5bcu]$ printenv
LESSOPEN=|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh %s
USERNAME=
COLORTERM=gnome-terminal
HISTSIZE=1000
HOSTNAME=linux.ik5bcu.ampr.org
LOGNAME=ik5bcu
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/ik5bcu
TERM=xterm
HOSTTYPE=i386
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/ik5bcu/bin
HOME=/home/ik5bcu
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
SHELL=/bin/bash
USER=ik5bcu
BASH_ENV=/home/ik5bcu/.bashrc
DISPLAY=:0
SESSION_MANAGER=local/linux.ik5bcu.ampr.org:/tmp/.ICE-unix/741
LANG=it_IT
OSTYPE=Linux
WINDOWID=48234622
QMAILMFTFILE=/home/ik5bcu/.lists
SHLVL=4
...cut
[ik5bcu@linux ik5bcu]$

> Next, how do you start X? Do you type "startx" at a command prompt? Or
> do you use XDM and log in through a graphical window? In the second
> case, do you have a .xsession file in your home directory? If so, does
> it set the QMAILMFTFILE variable?

Oh,well...I'm starting X using startx after the login at runlevel=3;
my unique xsession file is the xsession-errors (!)

> Also, do you know how XFMail sends mail? If it runs the sendmail
> program, make sure that sendmail (/usr/sbin/sendmail) is a symbolic link
> to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail. On the other hand, if it talks directly to
> an SMTP server, the QMAILMFTFILE variable won't work at all.

Great!= Tim you guess the problem:XFMail actually uses SMTP,
and sincerly I ignored completely that Mail-Follow-Up can't
works with SMTP;however XFMail can works with sendmail too
which was the default setting...

if I would choice to use the symbolic link to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
(I've completely wiped away original SENDMAIL from disk)
would I have some worsing performances respect to use qmail via SMTP?

TKS a LOT
Marco.