From: John Evans [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 2:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: xinetd, tcpwrappers and qmail

I've read through the archives and I'm still having problems with allowing
selective relaying. Here are the settings that I am using:

-------- /etc/xinetd.conf
defaults
{
  log_type              = FILE /var/log/servicelog
  log_on_success        = HOST PID EXIT DURATION
  log_on_failure        = HOST RECORD
}

service smtp
{
  socket_type           = stream
  wait                  = no
  protocol              = tcp
  user                  = qmaild
  group                 = nofiles
  flags                 = REUSE NAMEINARGS
  server                = /usr/sbin/tcpd
  server_args           = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env -R
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
}
--------

-------- hosts.allow
tcp-env: LOCAL, .foo.org, .foo.com: setenv RELAYCLIENT
--------

When I attempt to send mail from localhost (via SMTP) or from an allowed
domain, I alway receive the message:
553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

Of course, mail going to my rcpthosts works just fine...

I am missing something in my settings, but I just can't find what it is.

I tried using tcpserver and that worked for allowing selective relaying, but
connections to any port from systems other than localhost usually took 30-45
seconds between getting the socket and getting the banner from the server.
There is no tcpserver mailing list that I could find and none of the man
pages
or online documenation told me how to fix this problem. Please don't suggest
that I use tcpserver to resove this issue because it introduces larger
problems.

Thank you!

--
John Evans