----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Cavender" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "alexus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2001 1:37 AM
Subject: Re: Maildir (dir) to file for /var/mail/$USR (Inbox) [imapd]

> > Hi
> >
> > .. let's start from right note here .. by sayin' i'm using qmail w/
Maildir
> > and imapd (doesn't really matter which one but if someone wants to know
i'm
> > using the one the came with pine package (uw-imapd)) ..
>
> Ummm, it DOES matter, because IMAP accesses the mail....

even though that i said it doesn't matter i still desided to specify it...
if you read more carefully you'll see it says
i used pine's imapd (uw-imapd)

with a patch of maildir from www.qmail.org website

> > and i'm using very
> > popular client known as Outlook Express and/or Outlook and i'm sure many
> > more will have same problem/thing..
>
> It shouldn't matter WHAT client you are using...

i know, that's what i'm trying to accomplish .. to be as much as more
compatible with all clients

> > since there is no Inbox from client point of view (it points to god
knows
> > where probably standard unix box /var/mail/$user or somethin),
>
> Not at all, it is ~/Maildir
>

> > I have to
> > browse for an additiona folder which would be in $HOME/Maildir.. and it
also
> > addes this folder in the list of others.. unfortinatly I can't just
change
> > name of that folder Maildir to Inbox due to conflict with existing on
e-mail
> > client end (and none existing on server side) folder/file.
> >
> > what i need is: I want everyone's standard e-mail client to take Maildir
as
> > a Inbox
>
> Then configure your IMAP / POP server to serve the right folder...this
> should all be server-side!

configure.. it's not like it has options for that.. basicly i'd have to
re-write part of the code for that.. and i'm not a programmer .. i realize
that gotta be done on server side.. *duh* that's what i'm trying to write
this whole letter all about how to do it on server side!

> > my question is: how do i do that?
>
> CourierIMAP

Courier IMAP is the most not standard imapd is ever, you can't create any
folders outside of Inbox.. all other imapd allows you to do that.. plus all
"sent mail" doesn't goes into "sent mai" in courier imap ('cause there is no
one and once again it can not be created 'cause it outside of inbox)

> > solution: .. maybe i can somehow trick my system in that Maildir is not
> > really a dir and it's just a file? this way I can put a symbol link into
> > /var/mail/$user to that file that's somehow is directory (Maildir) ?
> >
> > or maybe there are other solutions for that?
> >
> > it's really uncomfortable for me to do it and for for others users to
> > explain to add Maildir in their clients and there are some other
> > complications to that (which I dont really want to bore you with)
> >
> > please e-mail me any possible solutions here
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > Bye
>
> I hope this helps...it seems you are coming at the problem from the wrong
> direction..

so far it didn't...