tc lewis wrote:

> i use that same patch for pine 4.33.  it appears to work much better than
> whatever i was using before.  something with pine 4.10 i think.
>
> in pine's config i simply set inbox-path to the string: $MAIL
> /etc/profile.d/qmail.sh exists to set $MAIL (and $MAILDROP) properly.
> that profile file came with Bruce Guenter's qmail rpms
> (http://em.ca/~bruceg/qmail+patches/).  typically $MAIL would look like:
> /home/user/Maildir/ (with the trailing slash).

*chuckles* Sure enough, that worked.  It even moves read messages from
~/Maildir/new to ~/Maildir/cur.  Ah well.  A little more info on this
(for the archives if not for anyone presently dealing with it):

- My $MAIL environment variable is not set because I did not use those
particular RPMs for the install.  To set it for your users, check out
/etc/profile (just set the line with MAIL="/some/path/here" to
MAIL="/home/$USER/Maildir").
NOTE: Apparently, you must set inbox-path as an absolute path (which
means you can't set it to ~/Maildir because pine doesn't seem to
recognize ~/ as /home/$USER/).  This, obviously, will make root's
Maildir inaccessible on 99% of Linux systems, to solve this, either make
a symlink from /home/root to /root (or whatever root's home directory
is) or make a /root/.pinerc file with the line inbox-path=/root/Maildir

- You can set inbox-path for pine globally by editing /etc/pine.conf or
you can force your users to use that inbox-path by editing
/etc/pine.conf.fixed

> i've never used pine with imap, so i'm not sure how that works.

Well, I've been devoting a couple of hours to understanding courier-imap
in all of its intracacies and I'd say that your method is loads simpler
yet just as reliable.

> -tcl.

By the way, for those of you trying to obtain a copy of the file
pine-maildir-4.33 to patch pine with, I realize Larrson's site is down
so I have an alternate copy up at
http://unix-web.triton.net/~ennui/pine-maildir-4.33
To apply the patch, just copy the file into the directory you extracted
pine into and do `patch -p1 < pine-maildir-4.33'

--
Keith
Network Engineer