* List Monkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010504 01:52]:

> Does anyone have experience with HUGE Maildir's?  I have an account that
> is subscribed to a lot of high traffic mailing lists (like this one), and
> I want to keep all the messages on my server.

Would you care to elaborate what sort of experiences you're looking for.
If you want an answer to "will my buggy and insecure Pine.LNX.4.10
perform well with such a maildir?", you can have it. "No". That is, not
unless you filter into folders and read from there. man maildrop.

> I have seen grumblings, but no concrete info, on what may happen when your
> Maildir contains 10,000 or 100,000 or 1,000,000 messages?

What should happen? It's just files. Performance problems are the same
as per usual (ext2 being one of the not-so-very-good filesystems for
starters).

> I am running 2.2.* Linux

If this is a real problem for you, you might want to think about taking
a look at one of the journalling file systems. You might as well take a
look at softupdates and *BSD.
--
Robin S. Socha
http://my.gnus.org/ - To boldly frobnicate what no newbie has grokked before.