List Monkey wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with HUGE Maildir's?  I have an account that
> is subscribed to a lot of high traffic mailing lists (like this one), and
> I want to keep all the messages on my server.
>
> I have seen grumblings, but no concrete info, on what may happen when your
> Maildir contains 10,000 or 100,000 or 1,000,000 messages?
>
> I am running 2.2.* Linux
>
> Thanks.

Hi,
 I have one account that has 248,881 messages in it's maildir/new
directory, and receives many messages every day. Don't ask me what the
account is for because IMHO it's useless, but I will say that nobody
reads it with an email client. The OS is Solaris 8, platform is Sun
Netra T105 (sparc), filesystem is UFS. I'm using Qmail-LDAP, which
shouldn't really perform any differently in this respect than the stock
Qmail, and there are no problems constantly delivering messages to this
account.

 The thing you need to keep an eye on is your available inodes. I have a
36GB SCSI external disk mounted to /var/qmail/maildirs and this is how
it looks now. By the looks of things below, I'll run out of disk space
long before I run out of inodes.

$ df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t15d0s5   4266304  728388 3537916   17% /var/qmail/maildirs

$ df -k
/dev/dsk/c0t15d0s5    35292880  14155186  20784766  41%
/var/qmail/maildirs

Regards,
Mike