In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> Doh, that was a complete misunderstanding of what you were saying on my
> part. Sorry!
>
> Allright, so let's say I want to pass the local part of the address to the
> .qmail file from virtualdomains, i.e.:
>
> control/virtualdomains:
>       mail.aaa.com:alias-mail.aaa.com-$LOCAL
> ~alias/.qmail-mail:aaa:com-default:
>       # could use $DEFAULT which refers to the $LOCAL of virtualdomains.
>
> Would $LOCAL in virtualdomains be the variable to use?

You wouldn't use it in the virtualdomains file, but in the .qmail file.

I tend not to use ~alias, but users/assign - but it is the same anyway...

e.g. Say I receive mail for foobar.co.uk and want to map every username
to the equivalent foobar.com address for delivery, e.g. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-> [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] -> [EMAIL PROTECTED], etc

cd /var/qmail
echo "foobar.co.uk:foobar-co-uk" >> control/virtualdomains
echo "foobar.co.uk" >> control/rcpthosts

Put:
+foobar-co-uk:popuser:888:888:/var/qmail/popboxes/foobar-co-uk:::
into users/assign  (remember this file should have a "." on the last line
and you have to run qmail-newu to create the cdb)

Then in /var/qmail/popboxes/foobar-co-uk, create .qmail-default with:

Each of these does the same thing:

| if U=`echo "$LOCAL"@foobar.com | sed 's/foobar-co-uk-//'`; then forward "$U"; fi
(this should all be on one line)
Here $LOCAL is "foobar-co-uk-user1", so we need sed to get rid of the
"virtual user".  If you use alias, you'll probably have to remove something
else.

Or

| forward "$EXT2"@foobar.com

Or