alexus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > basically somehow i need to show to user that there is a new mail for
> > > him/her whenever user logs in

> does it matter that i no longer have /var/mail/$userid? and i have Maildir
> instead?

Yes, that's it.  $HOME/Maildir/ makes it trivial to see if you have new
messages; when you login, if there are files in $HOME/Maildir/new/, there's
new mail.  If there's files in $HOME/Maildir/cur/, you have old (seen) mail.
If you want to get fancy, you can code this type of check (with whatever
output messages you want) into a system-wide shell .rc file.

I have a Python script I use for this purpose, which checks multiple Maildirs
and presents a summary of current and new messages in each.  Send me a message
off-list if you want a copy.

Charles