> How did you follow docs without having your domain in rcpthosts?
> It -should- be there.

I worded that incorrectly.. it was in there..

> The fact that it wasn't there caused your open relay behavior.
>
> AFTER you add your domain to rcpthosts, add your networks back
> into /etc/tcp.smtp with the RELAYCLIENT envrionment variable set.

can you explain this.. the docs state that by default qmail will not relay
to anyone not in /etc/tcp.smtp

but it does.. all I have is my localhost line in /etc/tcp.smtp.. now if I
try to send from another network the mail server should respond with "this
server does not allow relaying to this host" or something similar.. it
doesn't, it just relays..

now that I do have my domain into rcpthosts it is the only way it will stop
the open relay behavior because the server responds with "domain not in my
rcpthosts" which is fine because I can bypass this with adding people to my
tcp.smtp file

this is how it's supposed to work?

> This is -definitely- in the docs.

sorry I did read the docs and just needed something cleared up

thanks for the reply
John Kuhn