Kennie J. Cruz-Gutierrez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I had been asked to setup alternate mail servers and test for the
> reliability of different MTA's.
[...]
> I already installed qmail on a small Ultra-5 Sparc box running Solaris 8
> (01/01). I was required to configure qmail to put mail messages in the
> standard sendmail mbox format on /var/mail (or /var/spool/mail) and to
> give support to .forward and /etc/aliases. So for this reason I also
> installed the fastforward and dot-forward packages.

To diagnose your problems with qmail-smtpd, we will need more information --
copies of your startup scripts, any tcprules files, the output of
`qmail-showctl`, etc.

My main question, however, is this:  if you want to evaluate qmail and other
MTAs to see which one will work best for you, why are you forcing qmail to use
its sendmail-compatibility cruft?  Many of qmail's best features are
completely eliminated from the comparison this way.  For instance, the
elimination of /var/spool/mail and the mbox format alone make qmail more
secure and reliable.

Charles