Charles Cazabon([EMAIL PROTECTED])@2001.05.18 13:04:03 +0000:
> I don't know anything about "spambouncer", but purely based on the name, I'd
> say it's useless.  I've seen some systems which generate late bounces to
> suspicious mail to try to get your name removed from spammers' lists, but the
> basic idea is flawed because spammers universally use forged envelope sender
> addresses and therefore never see the bounces.
even worse with spambouncer which appears to create mails from templates
and sends them to other adresses like contacts of the providers and so
on. i doubt that this can be done effectively with a set of scripts
without annoying overworked admins all over the world... *sigh*

seems like we all will get another wave of spam complaining about spam
like it was when netmedic came out and complained about high latency or
not enough bandwidth at some providers technical mail accounts. and that
just because some web server out there in the net served it's objects
with 6kbit/s and the backbone companies got the annoy-me-mail

here's an excerpt from the web page http://www.spambouncer.org/:
---
The SpamBouncer is a set of procmail recipes, or instructions, which
search the headers and text of your incoming email to see if it meets
one or more of the following conditions:

- Originates from an email address known to belong to a spammer.

- Originates from known spam source sites, domains or hosts -- internet
sites which exist solely or primarily to spam or provide services to
spammers.

- Originates from irresponsible, or rogue, Internet Service Providers
(ISPs), who permit spamming from their sites and fail to take
appropriate action against spammers.

- Was sent using a bulk email program whose only or primary purpose is to
send large quantities of junk email.

- Contains headers which match the filter's profile of definite or
probable spam.

- Contains body text strings which match the filter's profile of probable
spam.

The SpamBouncer sorts suspected spam into two categories -- mail from
known spam sources which is definitely spam, and other mail which is
probably spam, but might also be legitimate. It then tags this email
with appropriate headers giving the spam classification, and responds
according to the parameters you have set.

Depending on how you set it up, it will:

- Simply tag the suspected spam and return it to your main incoming
mailbox, allowing you to set up Eudora, Pegasus Mail, or another POP
mail program to retrieve and sort your mail.

- Tag the suspected spam, delete spam from known spam sources, and file
suspected spam in a separate folder.

- Send a simulated MAILER-DAEMON daemon "bounce" to known spammers in
hopes that they will think your email address is invalid and remove you
from their spam lists.

- Complain to the "upstream providers" of known spammers or spam
sites/domains, asking that they disconnect the internet service of the
spammers.

- Notify senders of email tagged as probable spam that their email was
intercepted, and give them a password to resend their email and bypass
spam filtering if their email was legitimate. (Spammers almost never try
to bypass filtering when warned this way -- in most cases, they don't
even read replies to their mail.)
---

--
> Nothing is better than Sex.
> Masturbation is better than nothing.
> Therefore, Masturbation is better than Sex.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46