Lye On Siong Johnny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have the follow scenario. Assuming my office is separate into 10 different
> locations, with about 50 staff in each location. Is that anyway whereby I
> can configure a mail server or something equivalent at each location such
> that the machine will know which are the local user, and send it to the
> local machine, and if not, they will send it out. This is to reduce the
> amount of out-going traffic

One typical way to handle this would be to have separate subdomains for each
of the ten offices.  For instance, if you operate foo.com, and you have
offices in Sydney, Istanbul, Toronto, Atlanta, and Milan, you might have
separate mail servers in each of those locations.  You create subdomains like
sydney.foo.com, milan.foo.com, etc.  Joe Smith is <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
while Mary Black is <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

You could probably also do this all transparently with qmail-ldap, but I've
never used it.  See (I think) lifewithqmail.org/ldap/ or find a pointer from
qmail.org.

Charles