Adrian,
<DISCLAIMER>
I've only been playing with qmail for a few months and it's only
installed on one server, but here's what I would suggest.
</DISCLAIMER>

Setup qmail/ldap at all of your pops.  Enable clustering (in qmail) and
have the local (remote POPs) mail servers replicate the core/primary
ldap server (see FAQ for OpenLDAP (slurpd i think).  You can then define
mailhost (I think that's the attribute name--somebody correct me if I'm
wrong) for each user in LDAP to the the mail server at their primary
POP.  This seems like the cleanest way to approach the problem.

You could then setup caching dns server as the remote POPs and use bind
9 views  (not very familiar with this) for each POP so that
mail.yourdomain.tld == local mail server.  This really isn't necessary,
but it would make life a little easier for your support people.

Anyone want to correct/critique this generalization?

Thanks,

Mike