Quoth "Chris Garrigues":
> --==_Exmh_841381948P
>
> > From:  Joel Uckelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date:  Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:15:11 -0500
> >
> > Furthermore, the IP that shows up in the header when it's working is a
> > local IP---192.168.254.101---which it should find in /etc/hosts without
> > needing to resort to DNS. The lookup order in /etc/host.conf has hosts
> > before dns, so it should be looking there first.
>
> Red Herring.  qmail (and most MTAs, I believe) only use the DNS and never loo
> in /etc/hosts.
>
> Is it possible that this is your issue?  Try checking things out with dig or
> nslookup.
>
> Chris

That's good to know; I'm glad it's now "documented" (heh!) on the net. I'd
be  willing to bet having this list archived on the web answers 90% of
people's questions, actually. (I know I find answers to most of mine that
way!)

Anyhow, what you and Mr. van Dijk mentioned suggested to me how I might fix
the problem. I spent a few minutes reading the manual for BIND 9 (which I
switched to from 8 last week), and discovered a rather neat feature called
"view". I set up two different views, one for my local network and my
static IPs, and one for the rest of the world, and then put a zone file for
254.168.192.in-addr.arpa in the former but not the latter. That way, qmail
can resolve my local IPs to real domain names, and anything else that does
reverse lookups on my domain names will get my world-recognized static IPs.
Problem sovled.

What still perplexes me is why qmail sometimes gave me the "softdnserror"
header and other times gave me one with a local IP address when using my
old DNS configuraiton. Based on what I know now, I don't see why I ever got
anything but "softdnserror" headers, actually! Of course, I don't *need* an
explanation for this now, but I'm still curious. Chalk another one up to
the vagaries of networking, I guess. Thanks, guys. :)

--
J.