You should be invoking qmail-popup, looking something like:

/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup virtualdomain.com \
/usr/local/ezmlm/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

If you are using Maildir instead of Mbox. man qmail-popup, vchkpw, and
qmail-pop3d for information on options and parameters.

-K

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste
good with ketchup."