Greetings,

I'm somewhat new to qmail, but I'm been reading the archives and every piece of
documentation I can find for the last month so I'm learning ;)
At this point, I've got a problem that I can't find a solution for in the archives.
I'm sure that I've screwed something up, but I can't pinpoint what it is.

First off, Im using concurrency patch and big-todo patch (from qmail.org) with
qmail-1.03. I've configured the conf-spawn to 400. We are an ISP so we are not doing
any kind of mailing lists, all messages coming through our system are seperate
messages sent by different customers. We process about 15,000 different messages an
hour. We have a server running FreeBSD 4.3, with 256MB RAM, 9GB Seagate Barracuda 7200
(this is the disk holding the queue), Quantum Fireball is holding the homedirs of the
users.

This is kind of broken up into a few different problems.

1) qmail-qstat is showing that the "not yet preprocessed" messages are growing, and
very seldom is that number decreasing.

2) qmail-remote is being spawned way under the current remote concurrency limit (175)
I have very seldom seen this number reach above 30.

su-2.05# ps -ax | grep qmail-remote | wc -l
      30
su-2.05# ps -ax | grep qmail-smtpd | wc -l
     111

Excerpt from /var/log/qmail/current:

delivery 1138: success:
64.14.48.102_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_OK_id=159tSf-0000Yo-00/
status: local 1/50 remote 22/175
new msg 2005553
info msg 2005553: bytes 4977 from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 3253 uid 1001
end msg 2003381
delivery 1141: success: did_1+0+0/
status: local 0/50 remote 22/175

3) Messages are staying in the queue and are not being delivered the way they should
be. Note: Messages are going out, just very slowly. The logs are showing deliveries
local and remote. There are no error messages in the log. (A test message sent to a
local user takes approximately 30-45 minutes, roughly the same amount of time for a
remote user)

Here's a qmail-qstat from about 10-15 minutes ago:

su-2.05# qmail-qstat
messages in queue: 4129
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 2935

And here's a current qmail-qstat:
su-2.05# qmail-qstat
messages in queue: 5084
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 3164

Here's what I've done so far:

1) Checked the Trigger file to make sure it has the correct permissions:

        su-2.05# ls -la /var/qmail/queue/lock/trigger
        prw--w--w-  1 qmails  qmail  0 Jun 12 14:11 /var/qmail/queue/lock/trigger

2) Checked ulimit and kern max files.

        su-2.05#sysctl -A | grep maxfiles

        kern.maxfiles: 65536
        kern.maxfilesperproc: 65536

        su-2.05# ulimit -n
        65536

3) Ran the qmail-send run file by itself and the messages in the queue went through
very quickly. (5000 messages in about 15 minutes or so) A lot better then they are
with everything running.

4) Verified my run scripts with LWQ. The run scripts have softlimits that are
increased from LWQ, could this be my problem?

su-2.05# cat run
#!/bin/sh
exec /var/qmail/rc

su-2.05# cat /service/qmail-send/run
#!/bin/sh
exec /var/qmail/rc
su-2.05# cat /var/qmail/rc
exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start ./Maildir/

su-2.05# cat /service/qmail-smtpd/run
#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 60000000 \
        /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -R -v -p -c 150 -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
 -u $QMAILDUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I'm hoping that this is an easy problem
that I am just overlooking. If anymore information is needed, please let me know.

Below is the qmail-showctl output.

qmail-showctl output, (ive snipped the pieces of this that are, what i believe,
unimportant to my problem. It's incredibly long with
badmailfrom/rcpthosts/virtualdomains in it. If anyone needs this information to help,
let me know and ill send an unmunged copy):

qmail home directory: /var/qmail.
user-ext delimiter: -.
paternalism (in decimal): 2.
silent concurrency limit: 400.
subdirectory split: 23.
user ids: 1000, 1001, 1002, 0, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006.
group ids: 1000, 1001.

badmailfrom:
<snip>

bouncefrom: (Default.) Bounce user name is MAILER-DAEMON.

bouncehost: (Default.) Bounce host name is mail.harborside.com.

concurrencylocal: Local concurrency is 50.

concurrencyremote: Remote concurrency is 175.

databytes: (Default.) SMTP DATA limit is 0 bytes.

defaultdomain: Default domain name is harborside.com.

defaulthost: (Default.) Default host name is mail.harborside.com.

doublebouncehost: (Default.) 2B recipient host: mail.harborside.com.

doublebounceto: 2B recipient user: doublebounces.

envnoathost: (Default.) Presumed domain name is mail.harborside.com.

helohost: (Default.) SMTP client HELO host name is mail.harborside.com.

idhost: (Default.) Message-ID host name is mail.harborside.com.

localiphost: (Default.) Local IP address becomes mail.harborside.com.

locals:
Messages for mail.harborside.com are delivered locally.
Messages for harborside.com are delivered locally.
Messages for nwpaclink.com are delivered locally.
Messages for localhost are delivered locally.

me: My name is mail.harborside.com.

percenthack: (Default.) The percent hack is not allowed.

plusdomain: Plus domain name is harborside.com.

qmqpservers: (Default.) No QMQP servers.

queuelifetime: (Default.) Message lifetime in the queue is 604800 seconds.

rcpthosts:
<snipped>

morercpthosts: (Default.) No effect.

morercpthosts.cdb: (Default.) No effect.

smtpgreeting: (Default.) SMTP greeting: 220 mail.harborside.com.

smtproutes: (Default.) No artificial SMTP routes.

timeoutconnect: (Default.) SMTP client connection timeout is 60 seconds.

timeoutremote: (Default.) SMTP client data timeout is 1200 seconds.

timeoutsmtpd: (Default.) SMTP server data timeout is 1200 seconds.

virtualdomains:
<snip>

defaultdelivery: I have no idea what this file does.

concurrencyincoming: I have no idea what this file does.

Thanks,

Shawn Estes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]