"Ricardo D. Albano" wrote:

> Hello, I've noticed that all mails sent from my qmail box to any email in
> hotmail.com ends with the error "CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily" after 25
> minutes that qmail-remote is lunched. (yes!, qmail-remote sleeps 25 minutes
> before log the error).
>
> I do a nslookup from the qmail box and I resolve this :
> <snip nslookup data>

Use of nslookup is deprecated <sp?>.  Use dig instead:

$ dig +notcp hotmail.com. -t MX

; <<>> DiG 9.2.0a2 <<>> hotmail.com. -t MX
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 12, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 7

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;hotmail.com.                   IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
hotmail.com.            151     IN      MX      10 mc1.law13.hotmail.com.
[bla bla bla]
;; Query time: 4 msec
;; SERVER: 209.172.0.5#53(209.172.0.5)
;; WHEN: Thu Jun 21 21:55:56 2001
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 491

> I think is a problem with the bug "oversize DNS", but i'm not shure.

Possibly.  I get a MSG SIZE of 491 on this UDP query.  When I do a TCP
query, on the other hand, I get:

$ dig +tcp hotmail.com. -t M
[bla bla bla]
;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: 209.172.0.5#53(209.172.0.5)
;; WHEN: Thu Jun 21 22:06:43 2001
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 651

Not being familiar enough with DNS protocols or qmail's inner DNS
workings, all I can really say is that it works fine for me; but I have
the big-dns patch applied.

--
Nick (Keith) Fish
Network Engineer