I am probably going to start a flame war with this but I have created a
patch for qmail 1.03 which removes the need for compiled in user and
group id's.

The patch works by replacing the auto_uida variables with #defines which
call functions to return the correct uid.  Once the user id has been
looked up it is remembered should the same instance try to look it up
again.

I have not measured the performance of this but for a low volume server
I would imagine that is would be negligible.

With this patch in place it is possible to build an RPM which can be
safely installed without the need to relink or binary edit and files.

I am happy to release the patch and the SRPM if is anyone is interested.

My second question is about the licence for qmail.  Despite all my
looking I can't find it.  Can someone point me to the licence or
summarise what I can do with a binary RPM.

Thanks.
John.

--
Information Technology Innovation Group
Swinburne University. Melbourne, Australia