--On Thursday, June 28, 2001 12:18:02 PM +0000 Uwe Ohse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> just feels like a system, rather than a hodge-podge of parts. Solaris
>> also  has this feel to it.
>
> How do you manage to ignore the /usr/ucb (and xpg4 and ...) compatibility
> braindamage?

I just ignore it. :-)

I admit that I was doing a wee bit of trolling in that there has been a lot
of "Slowlaris" sentiment on this list.

I do prefer Solaris on SPARC. That's my personal preference and that's
that. It has worked well for me.

I'm also a *BSD fan. I would choose FreeBSD first for x86 hardware. I also
like NeXT/OPENSTEP and used that successfully for a long time. And I just
bought a Mac so I can run OS X.

It's Linux that leaves me a bit cold. It's good, and Debian is quite
impressive in many ways. I even installed SGI's XFS port with RH 7.1 and
it's quite competent. But Linux still feels chaotic and the documentation
sucks.

Just my opinion. And I did preface the subject of my reply with an OT so
that it could be ignored more readily.