On 20 Jul 2001, Tony Gale wrote:

> You can store your 8000 mail accounts under one user account. Each one
> having it's own Maildir. It will interface to courier-imap so you can
> use imap and/or pop3 to access each mailbox.

Huh, you're genius ;)  What you described is not a problem at all ;)))

My problem addresses performance.

Imagine that you have:

/mailspools/domain1/
/mailspools/domain2/
/mailspools/domainN/

With large amount of domains, delivery can be slower because of a time
needed to find particular domain directory. It can be easy worked-around
by splitting the directory, say, by some hash or just domain name first
letter:

/mailspool/A/domains_starting_With_A.*

It's similar to the way qmail's queue itself is organized.

The problem starts if you have many counts in one domain, and use standard
virtualdomains method. Each domain directory needs .qmail-account_name
files in it. With many acounts per domain you will have large dirs to scan
on every delivery.
Actually I didn't check it myself, but I've heard (not once) about it's
performance degradation...

-=Czaj-nick=-