On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 03:05:21PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Symptoms:  Client will start to pop out email and it would freeze and time
> out during download and give an error (as usual, it's a pain to get clients
> to specify exactly what the error is).
>
> Email Clients Used:  Most occuring from Outlook Express, one occurance from
> Netscape Mail so far
>
> Questions:
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this could be?

  Are you running on Linux? What Kernel? I have the same problem with a
2.0.39 system that's been working fairly well for over 2 years now. In the
last 2 or 3 months I have been getting an increasing # of these hanging
email sessions.

  One 'cure' I have found is to change the MRU on my dialup connection when
fetching mail from the server. Set it to 1500 and I get freezes, set it to
576 and they come through fine. Usually I see them with large attachment
emails, but not alway.

  I posted a message to this list a week or so ago and the only conclusion
we came to was that maybethe 2.0.39 linux kernel has an un-squashed bug that
has started to exhibit itself for unknown reasons.

  Brian

--
Brian C. Lane - Linux Programmer/Consultant/Writer         www.brianlane.com
                                                      www.nexuscomputing.com