I don't know about #2 but I can shed some light on #1.

Quotas are ignored for catchall mail. In other words, if your user has the catchall set to his mailbox, then quotas are ignored for some strange reason for mail addressed to non-existent mailboxes. If you send a letter to the user's actual address, then the quota count will be properly updated and mail addressed to that user will bounce however mail addressed to non-existent users will continue to be delivered. Obviously this is a bug.