Yes, your dns query must be open at firewall level. If not, when your client start to do browsing, or your email server wants to send email, it will get many errors. Is a very important port at any network environment.

Lynn wrote:

I should have wrote: "Is there actually a reason to open ports 53
UDP & TCP in the (external) firewall for the DNS service? Meaning
port forwarding of a router...

Routers tend to allow all traffic out, but I can't find any reason
to port forward DNS queries into a LAN.

I never connect servers directly to the internet - I think that's
crazy. I always hide them behind routers running NAT.

So the question really is, is there a reason to allow the outside
world to query my private DNS service?