Jake Vickers wrote:
> Eric "Shubes" wrote:

>>> POP3 would work fine except for the training portion of dspam.  Even
>>> though my setup uses IMAP people can still download the contents of
>>> their inbox which would be clean.  Training could be done by forwarding
>>> ham and spam to email aliases which would be pretty basic using
>>> .qmail-alias files.
>>>

>> Would forwarding distort the message since it would appear to be coming from
>> the recipient (forwarder) instead of the original sender? How would dspam
>> handle this?
>>

> I imagine it would. To train spamassassin this way, you need to "bounce"
> or redirect the message to a spam account for it to learn from.
> Sorry, I just jumped in the middle of this. Here is some more info:
>
> Many thanks to all the contributors, listed in parentheses.
>
> AOL's integrated email client
>
> Redirecting mail is not available. /(Dave Goldsmith)/
>
> Eudora
>
> Select the message, go to the "Message" menu, choose redirect, fill in
> the address, and choose send. /(Brian Corcoran and Erik Wheeler)/
>
> Evolution
>
> Select the message. In the "Actions" menu, choose the "Forward" submenu
> (not "Forward message", the "Forward" submenu). Pick "Redirect", fill in
> the "To" field, and press "Send". /(Johannes Ullrich)/
>
> OS/X Mail.app
>
> With the email message open or selected, go to Mail's 'Message' menu and
> select 'Bounce to sender' or 'Redirect'. If you use this frequently, go
> to the "View" menu, choose "Customize toolbar", and add a button for
> "Redirect". /(Marion Bates)/
>
> Microsoft Outlook 97
>
> Double-click on the message so it opens in a new window. Click on
> Tools->Resend This Message. A warning will appear about you not being
> the original sender of the message. Click Yes. A message window appears.
> Update the To: field and click on 'Send'. /(Dave Goldsmith)/
>
> Microsoft Outlook 2000
>
> Double-click on the message so it opens in a new window. Click on
> Actions->Resend This Message. A warning will appear about you not being
> the original sender of the message. Click Yes. A message window appears.
> Update the To: field and click on 'Send'. /(Dave Goldsmith)/
>
> Microsoft Outlook Express
>
> It does not appear to have a redirect option. /(Dave Goldsmith and Alex
> Bates)/
>
> Netscape Communicator 4.x and 7.x
>
> They don't appear to have a redirect option.
>
> Pine
>
> For a single message, highlight the message and press "b" to bounce it.
> Enter the target address and press enter.
>
> For multiple messages, select all the messages you'd like to bounce with
> either ":" to select them one at a time, or ";" to select multiple
> messages by message number, subject, body text, etc. Once selected,
> press "a", then "b" to Apply the Bounce command to all of them. Enter
> [...]

I was wondering about dspam w/ pop3. This answers a lot of questions.

I'm disappointed to see that Netscape doesn't have a redirect option.
However, there *is* a mailredirect extension for Mozilla Thunderbird (0.7
and above) and Mozilla Mail. I don't know if this would work with Netscape
or not.

In addition, I see on the dspam list that some people have used both
spamassassin *and* dspam. That being the case, I think we should be looking
to provide dspam in addition to SA on the toaster. It'd be sweet if people
could choose either/and with a simple configuration. Keyword: simple.
Neither one is looking very simple to me at this point. :( Doesn't mean it
can't be done though.