Yeah, it's a DNS issue, but not unsolvable.

If you don't want the outside world to see your internal domain, you'll need
to configure your caching DNS server (djbdns or bind) to be a private DNS
server for your local domain. The "Linux Cookbook" (O'Reilly) by Carla
Schroder has recipies for doing this.

Do you use djbdns or bind?