24x7server wrote:
> hi
>
> nowadays once every week or so we get an enormous number of spam hits which
> increases the number of concurrent incoming connections to around 250,
> causing too much load on server. reducing this figure means our clients
> suffer.
>
> normally concurrency incoming it is just 25 - 40 range.
>
> we are planning to use greylisting, searched and found quite a few websites
> providing patches
>
> a) can anybody point us to good working patch wherein we can have grey and
> whitelisting of ips known servers
>
> b) is there anybody who can share their experience using greylisting
> mechanism successfully with qmail toaster, problems faced by them if any.
>
> rajesh mahadevan

Here's a note that EE sent me a month or so ago:
> I remember you mentioning that you were interested in greylisting. You
> may want to check this out:
>
> http://thomas.mangin.me.uk/software/qmail-greylist.html
>
> Install instructions are simple:
> cd /var/qmail/bin ; wget http://thomas.mangin.me.uk/data/source/greyd
> ; chmod +x greyd
> mkdir /var/qmail/grey ; chown vpopmail.vchkpw /var/qmail/grey
>
> Add ',GREY=""' to the :allow statement at the bottom of
> /etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp
>
> Then change /var/qmail/supervise/smtp/run to look like this:
> #!/bin/sh
> QMAILDUID=`id -u vpopmail`
> NOFILESGID=`id -g vpopmail`
> MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
> BLACKLIST=`cat /var/qmail/control/blacklists`
> SMTPD="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd"
> GREYD="/var/qmail/bin/greyd"
> TCP_CDB="/etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp.cdb"
> RBLSMTPD="/usr/bin/rblsmtpd"
> HOSTNAME=`hostname`
> VCHKPW="/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw"
>
> exec /usr/bin/softlimit -m 12000000 \
>     /usr/bin/tcpserver -v -R -H -l $HOSTNAME -x $TCP_CDB -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
>     -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp \
>     $GREYD $RBLSMTPD $BLACKLIST $SMTPD $VCHKPW /bin/true 2>&1

There have been a few posts on the list recently regarding this too.

Before doing greylisting, I'd want to be sure that other avenues were
exhausted first.

.) RBLs
 - you should be using something more than the stock toaster
.) simultaneous connections
 - there was some talk a while back about limiting the number of
simultaneous connections from a given IP. If you're getting flooded from a
single address, that might help.

I'd only implement greylisting as a last resort. It has the potential to
give you additional headaches. ;)