Make sure that you have dir_index turned on in ext3.

Type tune2fs -l /dev/?da? | grep features

For example, if /home is /dev/sda5 on your system type tune2fs -l
/dev/sda5 | grep features

If this feature is not turned on, small file performance on ext3 is
dirt slow . . . However turning it on does not speed up directories
that already exist. You will basically have to do a backup/restore.

Thanks,
Erik