Chkuser rejects the blackberry messages because of the '/' character in the sender address, right?

We were experiencing this issue and I tried editing tcp.smtp as suggested by Helmut Fritz (thanks Helmut!). But due to the stealth server issue I broke down and reconfigured chkuser using the procedure found at: http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/Chkuser

I added '/' as a CHKUSER_ALLOW_SENDER_CHAR

All is well now with blackberry emails for us, but because of the trouble this issue caused I check the logs daily to make sure nothing is being blocked from RIM. Because of this I have noticed other messages that are blocked by chkuser due to invalid characters. Most of these are spam but for some I can't be certain.

Some of the characters that chkuser seems to block on appear to be listed in RFC 2822 as legal. I would add these characters to my chkuser configuration as additional CHKUSER_ALLOW_SENDER_CHAR entries but the version of chkuser (v2.0.8) in the current qmailtoaster package only allows 6 entries. The latest version, v2.0.9, allows up to 10. Are there any plans to go to the new version?

Brent Gardner

Jean-Paul van de Plasse wrote:
Btw, its not just blackberry that needs this fix.. also mails from for example
ticketmaster.co.uk and some mails from paypal.
So I really suggest to change this behaviour for all incoming connections.. You
will not know what emails were lost and that I think is a bigger problem then
the very small security problem.. qmail does not use the email address in any
file, only if you would have an external program doing something with the
filesystem based on the address it could give problems (imo)..

If anyone does see real security implications I would like to hear them really..
JP
----- Original Message ----- From: Helmut Fritz To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 7:42 PM
  Subject: RE: [qmailtoaster] I hate Blackberry , 5.1.0 - Unknown address error
571-'sorry, (#5.7.1 - chkuser)'

  understood, but if it is just one server there may be enough log entries for
folks to collaborate to find it - and make appropriate entries and engage
blackberry about it.

  i have also seen comments that say those characters are not against the rfc
and other comments that say they are.  if they are not, then qmail should not
choke on them.  if they are, blackberry should be engaged.