Quoting Jake Vickers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello

I currently use QMT to store/access my email and fetchmail to periodically retrieve email from various servers and send them to QMT.

On the whole, this works quite well with spam either rejected (bounced) or tagged and the rest arriving as expected. However, if the number of emails retrieved by fetchmail is quite large, not sure how many, but generally more than a hundred, a significant number start to be rejected by chkuser and cause the email to get bounced. It's as though the system has become overloaded and can't cope.

For the time being I have restricted the number of emails retrieved at any single time by fetchmail and am keeping an eye on the situation.

Any clues as to where/what I should be looking for or doing would be greatly appreciated.

If you're running them through like external mail then look at your
/etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp file and adjust your CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT. I've
also noticed a bottle neck in simscan, at around 248 messages where it
will start to say that the destination user does not exist. Might be
something to keep an eye on.

A look at this shows that it is currently set as follows:

:allow,BADMIMETYPE="",BADLOADERTYPE="M",CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT="50",CHKUSER_WRONGRCPTLIMIT="10",QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/simscan"

Maybe I misunderstood CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT, and CHKUSER_WRONGRCPTLIMIT, as I believed them to be on a per message basis, not on a "batch" of emails submitted at the same time.

The general reason why the number of outstanding emails is if the server fails (e.g. powercut) and no email is retrieved for several hours. By the time this has been rectified, I have several hundred, and sometimes > 1000, emails to retrieve. In this situation, would I be better off removing this setting altogether?