The .qmail file isn't a script, so you can't add logic there (that I'm aware
of). Sorry about that bit.

Have you tried
exit 99
in the maildrop script?

I don't see how the EXITCODE variable would be passed back to whatever's
calling maildrop, unless maildrop is 'sourced'. I don't know off hand how
the maildrop script is invoked.