It fully works fine with a private IP, I've had up to three systems up on NAT
IP's working. When you say it's not working, you might want to explain a
little more so that there is a sense of what the problem is.

Perhaps the firewall is doing something funky which is preventing the mail
from getting in/out.

Mike