David Fix wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm new to the list, and want to say thanks for a great product.  :)
> I've never had any problems installing before, so this time has me a bit
> flummoxed.  :)   I've googled extensively with no result, so I thought
> I'd consult the experts.
>
> Here's the deal:
>
> I'm installing under CentOS 5.1, kernel 2.6.18-53.1.19.el5.  I've
> installed all the dependencies, and everything went well in the install
> until it got to the point of rebuilding
> spamassassin-toaster-3.2.4-1.3.13.src.rpm.
>
> Here was the command line:
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild --with cnt50 spamassassin-toaster-3.2.4-1.3.13.src.rpm
>
> And everything proceeded up until this point:
>
> ---
> + install -m 0644 /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/qmailtoaster.local.cf.bz2
> /var/tmp/spamassassin-toaster-root/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.bz2
> install: cannot create regular file
> `/var/tmp/spamassassin-toaster-root/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.bz2':
> No such file or directory
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.67508 (%install)
>

> RPM build errors:
>    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.67508 (%install)
> ---
>
> Weird...  So I tried running the install command, with the same result.
> I created the directory myself after, like this:
>
> # mkdir /var/tmp/spamassassin-toaster-root/etc/mail/spamassassin/
>
> And then was able to install that package.  However, if I try running
> the build again, it deletes that directory somewhere along the way, and
> it stops at the same spot with the "cannot create regular file" message
> there...
>
> Any ideas?  :)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>    Dave

Welcome to the club. :)

I'm glad you asked that question (again) because I've spent a good deal of
time recently (days actually) nailing it down.

To make a long story (relatively) short, there's a bug in the perl
ExtUtils::MakeMaker module which makes building a binary rpm properly down
right difficult (to say the least). Spamassassin itself requires MakeMaker
>5.4.5. The DESTDIR parameter was introduced in MakeMaker 6.11, and is
intended to be used for rpm type installs. The trouble is (besides the fact
that MakeMaker is downright evil), the DESTDIR parameter has never worked as
advertised (it's still broken).

I've been able to hack the spamassassin-toaster spec file to the extent that
it works properly with MakeMaker 6.44, thanks to a spamassassin bug report.
That's the good news.

The bad news is that MakeMaker is part of the main perl package. COS4 has
perl-5.8.5-36.el4_5.2, which contains MakeMaker 6.17. COS5 has
perl-5.8.8-10.el5_0.2, which contains MakeMaker 6.30. The only way I can
find to install MakeMaker 6.44 is to upgrade CPAN. Note, not upgrade *using*
CPAN, upgrade CPAN itself, as in "perl -e 'use CPAN; install Bundle::CPAN'".
The newer MakeMaker will be updated as a dependency of CPAN.

So that's where things presently stand.
spamassassin-toaster-3.2.4-1.3.16.src.rpm (a development version that I've
sent to Erik Espinoza) installs ok, but only with MakeMaker 6.44. I'm not
sure where things will go from here, whether someone might find a way to get
rpmbuild working with various broken MakeMaker versions, or whether
MakeMaker 6.44 will become a minimum dependency for spamassassin-toaster.

Stay tuned.