What you should do hinges on what version of MakeMaker you have installed:
# grep '^our $VERSION' /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.?/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm

What version do you have?

See if
http://www.mail-archive.com/qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com/msg18844.html
makes any sense to you. If you have a question after reading through that
let me know and I'll try to clarify things.

The pre-1.3.16 versions of spamassassin are a little tricky. Once EE gets
that version posted on the main site then things will be much easier again
going forward.