Another point that I think (I could be wrong) Jake was trying to get to which I think is important to acknowledge is that if you are setting up something like this, you want to do everything reasonably possible to avoid any single point of failure. The offered 8-core processor system with 32gb of RAM is great. But that's one box. If that box has a serious problem, suddenly your email is inaccessible. For a tiny little 'home' service, that might be OK. But for a business- critical system like this for 10k users, that's just unacceptable. You're going to want and need multiple complete physical servers running in clustered format with replicated database and shared storage via that SAN, so that if something tanks one of those machines, the system as a whole is still usable, accessible and running while you work on fixing the problem, whether it be hardware or software.

I know I've heard others say that Dovecot is a more efficient IMAP4 than Courier (which is the QMT default) for large numbers of users and for large email stores.

I think, hardware-wise, you'd be better off with 4 dual-core systems with 4gb each, than with 1 8-core with 32gb, specifically for that reason. I confess I myself am not up to snuff to be able to execute all of this, but I know that Jake and others have expressed previously that they've done it, and would do it again for a fee. I strongly advise you to consider hiring out someone capable of the expertise required to make this go, especially if the project is at all time- critical.

Roxanne