I send messages from cron (ON my mail server) using qmail-inject directly. I just put the To: From: & Subject: lines in "manually"....

For example:
echo "From: sys...@it4soho.com
To: cronwa...@it4soho.com
Subject: Cron Generated Report

Happy Tuesday!
" | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

NOTE: Simply echoing out to a Cron script will generate an e-mail message from Cron... this way, I can control better what the entire message is, and who it "appears" to be from.

Just my way -- I'm sure it's "brute force" and there are probably better, more elegant ways!

Dan
IT4SOHO

Jake Vickers wrote:
dnk wrote:

I whitelist most of mine, but for the rare occasion this is not desired, I used a simple SMTP program called "mail":
http://www.cleancode.org/projects/email
Allows you to send emails from the command line using SMTP auth.

Jake,

Do you usually compile "email", or did you find an RPM you trust?

I usually compile it since it only takes a few seconds. Never even looked for an RPM to be honest.

---
IT4SOHO, LLC
224 13th Ave N
St. Petersburg, FL 33701-1122