Eric Shubert wrote:
Jake Vickers wrote:
Eric Shubert wrote:
Jake Vickers wrote:
Steve wrote:
After reinstalling QMT5-ISO from scratch, with no modifications except turning off the firewall and setting up the IP address I get the exact same errors.

When I run newmodel it only asks the following question, then errors out with the previously mentioned error:

"Would you like a unioned sandbox (quicker, smaller) [y]/n:"

I've tried "yum update kernel" & "kernel-devel" and they both say "No Packages marked for Update".

Also "yum install kernel-devel" says "Package kernel-devel-2.6.18-128.1.16.el5.i686 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do"

All this happening on both machines.

Steve

You do not need to update the packages from the versions that are on the ISO. The only updates that have happened since the ISO's versions was to add other distro support. If you run the upgrade process manually, I do not think you will have any issues.

Is the kernel-devel package included in the ISO?

No it is not. Fine line walked between "as small as I can get it" and "has everything".

That's probably why it's not working "out of the box". I believe that when qtp-newmodel installs kernel-devel, it will install the latest version, which may not the one which corresponds to the one in the running kernel. qtp-newmodel perhaps should yum update the kernel first, then install kernel-devel. If a newer kernel is installed though, it would require a reboot before proceeding with the upgrade.

Is it possible for yum to install a specific version (which corresponds to the running kernel) of kernel-devel? I think that would be the best solution. I need to look into that.

Answer: yes. I'll look into that part of the code and get it fixed up.

I meant to add, for those of you who installed from the ISO and are trying to run qtp-newmodel but the aufs build is failing, if you

# yum install kernel-devel
# yum update
# shutdown -r now

then it should work. If not please let us know:

# rpm -qa | grep ^kernel | sort
# uname -a

Thanks for helping to straighten this out.