Glen Vickers wrote:

Hello all,

I'm having an issue I have yet to figure out. About a week or so ago my server stopped accepting incoming connections to send mail. I checked my router/firewall/port forwarding settings and all was correct. So I went inside our network (origionally the client was outside) and attempted to connect/send mail. Same error from client, unable to connect to mail server. So I attempted to telnet to both the external IP and internal IP addresses. Connection refused (using putty).

I checked the logs after that and don't see any reference to any IP address attempting to connect to port 25. I checked to see if IP tables had somehow been enabled on the machine. Nothing. I then checked for SELinux and ran nmap localhost and nmap /Domain/ as well as nmap /hostname/. It says port 25 is open and taking requests yet I get connection refused at any location.

To make things interesting, I'm able to email to any address that server holds. Just can't reply/send out from any address the server holds. Any thoughts where I could look? The logs don't even show an attempted connection.

Try telnetting via a command line, and make sure the HELO is what you're expecting. If you're on a standard ISP (Comcast, etc.) then they may have put a mail proxy in place without telling you, or some other router using the "fixup" protocols. If you post an IP/address we can test from outside. If you send me your IP off-list I can check it here and run it through DNS-Stuff as well and see if it flags anywhere.