From: Jake Vickers [mailto:j...@qmailtoaster.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 5:34 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] connection refused from clients sending email

Glen Vickers wrote:

Hello all,

I'm having an issue I have yet to figure out.  About a week or so ago my
server stopped accepting incoming connections to send mail.  I checked my
router/firewall/port forwarding settings and all was correct. So I went
inside our network (origionally the client was outside) and attempted to
connect/send mail.  Same error from client, unable to connect to mail
server.  So I attempted to telnet to both the external IP and internal IP
addresses.  Connection refused (using putty).

I checked the logs after that and don't see any reference to any IP address
attempting to connect to port 25.  I checked to see if IP tables had somehow
been enabled on the machine. Nothing. I then checked for SELinux and ran
nmap localhost and nmap Domain as well as nmap hostname.  It says port 25 is
open and taking requests yet I get connection refused at any location.

To make things interesting, I'm able to email to any address that server
holds.  Just can't reply/send out from any address the server holds.  Any
thoughts where I could look?  The logs don't even show an attempted
connection.

Try telnetting via a command line, and make sure the HELO is what you're
expecting.  If you're on a standard ISP (Comcast, etc.) then they may have
put a mail proxy in place without telling you, or some other router using
the "fixup" protocols.
If you post an IP/address we can test from outside. If you send me your IP
off-list I can check it here and run it through DNS-Stuff as well and see if
it flags anywhere.

Telnet gives connection refused.  However, I can ssh and such into the box
just fine.  I can get to other ports except 25.  I've already checked with
my ISP and they haven't blocked anything.  My ISP would block me if I made
an open relay or my SMTP went retarded and started spamming people.  I am
pretty confident its not an ISP issue.

This happened about 2 weeks ago and I did run new model and patched up.  The
problem went away for about 2 weeks but now its back.

Glen