Strange indeed.

Tried remotely, no go.  I removed the server from the rack, only to find
that there was only one kernel listed in the grub menu.  I tried to edit
it pointing it to the new kernel to no avail.  It says file not found
and I had to revert back to the old kernel.  Where is the QMT grub
getting it's config from? /boot/grub/grub.conf simply can't be.

At this point I am not going to waste my time with it.  I am curious
why, but don't have time to deal with it and I'm migrating from this
server to another anyways.  The primary has updated correctly and is
current on all fronts including Spamdyke.

I will likely set up this server as a back up or retire it as I have
enough hardware (primary and backup) up and running with my new config
to suit my current needs.

Thanks for all you help.

CJ

Maxwell Smart wrote:
> Clean install on formatted drive.  Only QMT ISO installed.
>
> It's headless so without removing it from the rack, not easily.
>
> I just changed the default to 1 and then 2, no change.
>
> I'll either pull it out of the rack or try to reinstall grub remotely.
>
> Eric Shubert wrote:
>
>> Very strange. Perhaps there's something else going on with that hard
>> drive that we're not seeing. Any other partitions on it? Was there
>> ever any other boot loader on it?
>>
>> Are/can you seeing the grub boot menu when it boots? What does it list?
>>
>> I might try reinstalling grub in the mbr, but only after I thought
>> there was some reason it might fix something. This definitely sounds
>> like a grub misconfiguration issue. (duh)
>>
>> Maxwell Smart wrote:
>>
>>> The /boot/grub/grub.conf file reads the same.  The other 2 are both
>>> symlinks as expected.
>>>
>>> It has been rebooted and is still loading the old kernel.  I also
>>> removed the lines in the grub.conf file referring to the -92 kernel and
>>> it still boots to the -92 kernel.
>>> [r...@mail ~]# rpm -qa kernel
>>> kernel-2.6.18-128.1.10.el5
>>> kernel-2.6.18-92.1.13.el5