Jake,

The messages appear to be sent immediately.  They don't appear in the
queue.

Actually,  I do have a caching nameserver installed.   I will move the
127.0.0.1 to the top of the list.

When you say smtp log what log are you talking about /var/log/maillog?
I am pretty certain that's not the one you mean, but I can't seem to
find the log your talking about.  In the maillog nothing unusual.  In
the /var/log/qmail/smtp there are quite a few entries.  Is this normal.